Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sol sol is offline

Default Indentation

I just switched from MS Office 2003 to 2007, and I have a question regarding
indentation. In 2003 I was able to indent the second line in a paragraph
without a problem, however, with 2007 when I try to indet the second line the
whole paragraph indents. Any help?
Thank you,
Sol
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If I understand your description correctly, you need to turn off a specific
AutoCorrect option:

Select Office button Word Options Proofing category. Click the
AutoCorrect Options button (top right in the dialog box). On the €śAutoFormat
as You Type€ť tab, turn off €śSet left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces€ť. Click OK twice.

NB I dont know why you want to indent the second line of a paragraph with a
tab but I am wondering whether you use that method to create a hanging indent
of the paragraph. If that is the case, a better solution is to define the
paragraph style you are using so that it has a €śreal€ť hanging indent. This
can be set up via the Paragraph dialog box.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Sol" wrote:

I just switched from MS Office 2003 to 2007, and I have a question regarding
indentation. In 2003 I was able to indent the second line in a paragraph
without a problem, however, with 2007 when I try to indet the second line the
whole paragraph indents. Any help?
Thank you,
Sol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sol sol is offline

Thank you Lene for your prompt reply and huge help.

Indeed, this was the problem I followed your instructions, and BINGO it is
working. As per your concern: "why you want to indent the second line of a
paragraph with a tab", the answer is that I am using it for Hebrew font, and
in the hebrew-typing the correct and old fashion way to type is with an
indent in the second line. As per your idea to simplify the task, I did not
follow how to do it, can you please try to explain it to me again.

thank you again,
Sol

"Sol" wrote:

I just switched from MS Office 2003 to 2007, and I have a question regarding
indentation. In 2003 I was able to indent the second line in a paragraph
without a problem, however, with 2007 when I try to indet the second line the
whole paragraph indents. Any help?
Thank you,
Sol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right-click in the paragraph and choose Paragraph on the shortcut menu. In
the paragraph dialog, choose Special: Hanging and set the desired indent.
Alternatively, you can drag the Hanging Indent marker on the ruler (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm). It's best to make the
hanging indent part of a specific style; apply that style when you want the
hanging indent. Note also that Word's built-in List styles have a hanging
indent; they can be modified to suit your purposes.

http://word.mvps.org

"Sol" wrote:

I just switched from MS Office 2003 to 2007, and I have a question
regarding
indentation. In 2003 I was able to indent the second line in a
paragraph
without a problem, however, with 2007 when I try to indet the second
line the
whole paragraph indents. Any help?
Thank you,
Sol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sol sol is offline

Sorry Lene but I figure it out myself.

However, the hanging indent makes the rest of the document indented, and I
need only the second line. Is there a way of setting it up this way?

Thank you,
Sol

"Sol" wrote:

I just switched from MS Office 2003 to 2007, and I have a question regarding
indentation. In 2003 I was able to indent the second line in a paragraph
without a problem, however, with 2007 when I try to indet the second line the
whole paragraph indents. Any help?
Thank you,
Sol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sol sol is offline

Suzanne's description is actually the same as your's, with one difference the
setup takes place directly in the ruler as oppose to the dialog box. So, the
answer to your question is NO, I did not succeded.
Is there any other way or this feature was not invented yet by MS Word.

Thank you,
Sol

"Sol" wrote:

I just switched from MS Office 2003 to 2007, and I have a question regarding
indentation. In 2003 I was able to indent the second line in a paragraph
without a problem, however, with 2007 when I try to indet the second line the
whole paragraph indents. Any help?
Thank you,
Sol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're wanting to indent *only* the second line of a paragraph and not
any of the following ones, then yes, you'll have to use a tab (preceded by a
line break on the preceding line).

http://word.mvps.org

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

[...]

Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft
Word

"Sol" wrote:

I just switched from MS Office 2003 to 2007, and I have a
question regarding
indentation. In 2003 I was able to indent the second line in a
paragraph
without a problem, however, with 2007 when I try to indet the
second line the
whole paragraph indents. Any help?
Thank you,
Sol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm having trouble visualizing any Hebrew printed book with the
_second_ line of a paragraph indented. Are you saying the first line
of the paragraph is _not_ indented, only the second line? Or do you
want to indent the first _two_ lines? You could do that by inserting a
Drop Cap at the beginning of the paragraph, either leaving the text
box empty or putting some letter into it and making it White color.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

If I understand your description correctly, you need to turn off a specific
AutoCorrect option:

Select Office button Word Options Proofing category. Click the
AutoCorrect Options button (top right in the dialog box). On the “AutoFormat
as You Type” tab, turn off “Set left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces”. Click OK twice.

NB I don’t know why you want to indent the second line of a paragraph with a
tab but I am wondering whether you use that method to create a hanging indent
of the paragraph. If that is the case, a better solution is to define the
paragraph style you are using so that it has a “real” hanging indent. This