Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Raz Raz is offline

Default Word 2007 How do I hide the "Update Table" tab and frame around TO

I can't find this answer in any help menu. I created a TOC, and every time I
click near it, a blue frame appears around the TOC with a "shortcut" tab at
the top for updating the table. I want to hide this, but can't for the life
of me remember how to do it. I know it's possible, because I did it in two
documents a few months ago. Help, please. I am beyond frustrated. I long
for the days when Microsoft didn't include so many "helpful" [not] shortcuts.
Thanks!

--
RA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Inserting the TOC field via References tab | Table of Contents | Insert
Table of Contents, as opposed to choosing a format from the TOC gallery,
will prevent the "frame," which is some sort of a content control, from
being created.

You can save in Word 97-2003 format to get rid of an existing content
control (but the TOC will be preserved).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Raz" wrote in message
I can't find this answer in any help menu. I created a TOC, and every time
click near it, a blue frame appears around the TOC with a "shortcut" tab
at
the top for updating the table. I want to hide this, but can't for the
life
of me remember how to do it. I know it's possible, because I did it in
two
documents a few months ago. Help, please. I am beyond frustrated. I
long
for the days when Microsoft didn't include so many "helpful" [not]
shortcuts.
Thanks!

--
RA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

You can also select the TOC itself (it's sometimes easier if you toggle the
field codes because you know you haven't caught too much), copy it, delete
the content control, and then paste the TOC back into the document.

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
Inserting the TOC field via References tab | Table of Contents | Insert
Table of Contents, as opposed to choosing a format from the TOC gallery,
will prevent the "frame," which is some sort of a content control, from
being created.

You can save in Word 97-2003 format to get rid of an existing content
control (but the TOC will be preserved).

I can't find this answer in any help menu. I created a TOC, and every time

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
shortcuts.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That should work too, of course. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
Inserting the TOC field via References tab | Table of Contents | Insert
Table of Contents, as opposed to choosing a format from the TOC gallery,
will prevent the "frame," which is some sort of a content control, from
being created.

You can save in Word 97-2003 format to get rid of an existing content
control (but the TOC will be preserved).

I can't find this answer in any help menu. I created a TOC, and every
time

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
shortcuts.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Sometimes you can't retreat to 97-2003 without breaking or losing something.

Cheers,
Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
That should work too, of course. :-)

You can also select the TOC itself (it's sometimes easier if you toggle
the

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
shortcuts.
Thanks!