Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Default Sort order on my styles is messed up ...

For some strange reason when I create a new paragraph style in Word 2007 my
Header 1 and Header 2 styles are found in the style list after Normal. For
example, if I create a new style called XXX and decide to base it upon
Header 1, then when selecting Header 1 I see Header 3, Header 4 and Header 5
in the correct alphabetc order, but I have to scroll down below Normal to see
Header 1 and Header 2. Suggestions?

Thanks
Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That may be what Word calls "Recommended" order. You can go to the
Styles & Formatting panel (Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S), Options button at the
lower right, and change the sort order in the dropdown to
"Alphabetical."

On Jan 18, 5:43*pm, Robin wrote:
For some strange reason when I create a new paragraph style in Word 2007 my
Header 1 and Header 2 styles are found in the style list after Normal. For
example, if I create *a new style called XXX and decide to base it upon
Header 1, then when selecting Header 1 I see Header 3, Header 4 and Header 5
in the correct alphabetc order, but I have to scroll down below Normal to see
Header 1 and Header 2. Suggestions?

Thanks
Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

OK thanks for the suggestions - I found the problem. The list of styles was
already sorted alphabetically. But if I looked in the Manage Styles dialog
the Heading 1 and Heading 2 had a lower priority (10) than the other headings
(1) and for some reason it's this value that sorts the style list when you
select a value in the "Style based on" field.

Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I believe the default in W2007 is for the styles pane to show recommended
styles in the recommended order. Styles then appear in numerical order
according to their assigned value and, for styles of the same value, in
alphabetical order. So the suggestions to change the sort order from
recommended to alphabetical should have worked too.

HTH,
Pam