Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HPG HPG is offline

Default Edit Undo undoes one character at a time in MSW 2007

I'm used to MS Word's Ctrl+Z undoing text changes a word or so at a
time, which makes it quick and easy to use. Now, sometimes (I haven't
figured out when yet) it undoes typng a letter at a time, which is
very tedious. Does anyone know why this is, and whether there's a way
of forcing it to return to its previous behaviour of undoing in chunks
of text?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

It will undo whatever you have done last, however you did it.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"HPG" wrote in message
I'm used to MS Word's Ctrl+Z undoing text changes a word or so at a
time, which makes it quick and easy to use. Now, sometimes (I haven't
figured out when yet) it undoes typng a letter at a time, which is
very tedious. Does anyone know why this is, and whether there's a way
of forcing it to return to its previous behaviour of undoing in chunks
of text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HPG HPG is offline

Thanks, JoAnn -- that's interesting, because it doesn't match my
experience. It seems to choose each undo unit arbitrarily. Sometimes
it's character-by-character, and sometimes it's in chunks of
characters. It doesn't seem to depend on how I type; the behaviour is
quite unpredictable.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Keep in mind that every time AutoCorrect or AutoFormat fires, it interrupts
the Undo stream of "Typing." So you should get chunks of uninterrupted text
except for AutoFormat and AutoCorrect entries. If you examine the Undo list,
you may be able to see some logic in it. If there are no such interruptions,
then there's something wrong, but I have no idea what might cause it.

"HPG" wrote in message
Thanks, JoAnn -- that's interesting, because it doesn't match my
experience. It seems to choose each undo unit arbitrarily. Sometimes
it's character-by-character, and sometimes it's in chunks of
characters. It doesn't seem to depend on how I type; the behaviour is
quite unpredictable.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HPG HPG is offline

Interesting -- I didn't know about the impact of AutoCorrect or
AutoFormat -- thanks. I'll just have to be more observant and see if
there's anything else going to explain the structure of the Undo list.
I'll report back if I spot an explanation.