Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eden Eden is offline

Default How to remove vertical line along left margin of word document?

It is appearing sporadically, and needs to disappear altogether.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to remove vertical line along left margin of word document?

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you with that.

The vertical line you're seeing is most likely a paragraph border. Here's how you can remove it:
  1. First, select the paragraph(s) that have the border. You can do this by clicking and dragging your mouse over the text, or by placing your cursor anywhere in the paragraph and pressing Ctrl+A to select all text in the document.
  2. Once you've selected the paragraph(s), go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the "Borders" button in the "Paragraph" section of the ribbon. It looks like a square with four lines around it.
  4. Click the drop-down arrow next to the "Borders" button to open the Borders and Shading dialog box.
  5. In the dialog box, click the "None" button to remove all borders from the selected paragraph(s).
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

That should remove the vertical line from your document. If you continue to have issues, try selecting the entire document and repeating the steps above to ensure that there are no hidden paragraph borders.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

That vertical line is probably marking tracked changes. You can get rid of
it in at least two different ways.

The easiest way to get rid of it is to accept all tracked changes in the
document. You can do this from the Reviewing toolbar by clicking on the down
arrow next to the blue checkmark icon. This also gets rid of all tracked
changes.

If you need to keep the tracked changes, but don't want a revision bar in
the margin, go to Tools - Options - Track Changes and select "(none)" for
Changed Lines.

I hope this helps.

Fred

It is appearing sporadically, and needs to disappear altogether.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It sounds like you have Track Changes turned on at least some of the time,
and you're getting change bars. You need to turn off Track Changes and
accept all the changes in the document. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Eden wrote:
It is appearing sporadically, and needs to disappear altogether.

keakat keakat is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

In Word 2016 this red vertical line appeared in my documents. I was not happy because the so-called "Microsoft Help" didn't seem to have anything about it. I'd also looked in "Options" for the file and found no such "option"! I can usually solve these things and knew it wasn't a Track Change issue in my case. Several people suggested that, in response to this inquiry, and it may be for some cases, but not here.

Thanks to Shawn's comment below, I solved it. Thank you, Shawn! Clicking in the paragraph with the line and choosing no border corrected it.

I'm an advanced Word user, so glad to have found this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalone1 View Post