Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MamaGrubb MamaGrubb is offline

Default Temporary ~WRL files

Does anyone know why sometimes a temporary Word file beginning with ~WRL gets
created either along with or instead of ~$ilname.doc while editing a file?

It is when a .tmp file with a name linke ~WRL####.tmp gets created that I am
unable to save the document being edited -- and loose it completely.

I asked about this in another thread and everybody tought I have disk
problems -- but that disk I save to works just fine both before and after a
save disaster. I think the problem may be related to the tmp file since I
get a message saying Word could not read the ~WRL file file while trying to
save to a file I have named.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word creates temporary files when it runs - filenames similar to those you
have named are typical. You only need concern yourself about them if they
remain when Word is closed, as they will if Word crashes. If they are
allowed to remain when Word is closed they can interfere with the nromal
running of Word. They are not editable files.
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

MamaGrubb wrote:
Does anyone know why sometimes a temporary Word file beginning with
~WRL gets created either along with or instead of ~$ilname.doc while
editing a file?

It is when a .tmp file with a name linke ~WRL####.tmp gets created
that I am unable to save the document being edited -- and loose it
completely.

I asked about this in another thread and everybody tought I have disk
problems -- but that disk I save to works just fine both before and
after a save disaster. I think the problem may be related to the tmp
file since I get a message saying Word could not read the ~WRL file
file while trying to save to a file I have named.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

I have the same annoying problem with Office 2003 on Vista. Every time I
edit a file, a .tmp file shows up and moves the icon of the actual file I was
working on. This makes it impossible to organize my icons.
This happens in folders too.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Are you saying you have a temp file instead of the document? If that's the
case then chances are you have a permissions issue. When you save a file a
temp file is created and the original deleted. Then the temp file is moved
to take the place of the original. If you don't have the necessary
permissions for the temp file then the Move is unable to take place. Here's
an article that contains the permissions you need in order to save and
modify files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277867

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Steve" wrote in message
I have the same annoying problem with Office 2003 on Vista. Every time I
edit a file, a .tmp file shows up and moves the icon of the actual file I
was
working on. This makes it impossible to organize my icons.
This happens in folders too.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you don't want to see the temporary files, then tell Windows not to
display hidden files. You won't then know if they have not been cleared up
in the event of a problem, but you won't see them.

Steve wrote:
I have the same annoying problem with Office 2003 on Vista. Every
time I edit a file, a .tmp file shows up and moves the icon of the
actual file I was working on. This makes it impossible to organize
my icons.
This happens in folders too.

Temporary files Joanb Microsoft Word Help 2 October 16th 07 06:02 AM
Problem with Temporary Files Jim G Microsoft Word Help 6 July 28th 06 06:03 PM
Temporary files: Beverly New Users 2 April 21st 06 10:52 AM
Temporary FIles kimjs97 New Users 2 March 19th 06 07:28 PM
temporary Word files DOVER_WIGHT_PORTLAND Microsoft Word Help 3 January 29th 05 08:33 PM