rafraf

Default Using .doc as template leads to .dot save prompt

Hi,

I offer end-users multiple Word 2K templates as .doc files which all
link to one .dot file. This is done so that I only need to manage one
template, while having any number of virtual templates that dictate
headings and structure.

The end-users creates new documents from the .doc files. They do this
either through a shortcut or through the FileNew... dialog.

I am getting a strange phenomenon where creating a new doc out of a
doc, means that I always get a prompt to save the template.

The shortcut looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" /t"C:\some
path\SomeDoc.doc"

once I create a new doc this way, even if I close it, without saving
it, and without making ANY modifications to it, I get prompted to save
the template. I have one autonew macro, but even when disabled this
happens, doing the same from the FileNew... dialog does not replicate
this problem.

Thanks all.

Charles Kenyon

Somehow, you are making changes to the template, probably through code. Any
code changes to the user interface, autotext or styles, could be bringing
out this prompt.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"rafraf" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

rafraf

Thanks for your reply. I have all of these - but what is strange is
that this problem ONLY occurs when I create a new doc out of a doc
using a shortcut, not if I use the FileNew.. dialog, not when I just
create a doc based on the dot....

Charles Kenyon

When you use the shortcut, you are probably opening the document. If the
document is actually a template with the extension changed, you would get
the behavior you are describing, Word attempting to save as a template.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"rafraf" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your reply. I have all of these - but what is strange is
that this problem ONLY occurs when I create a new doc out of a doc
using a shortcut, not if I use the FileNew.. dialog, not when I just
create a doc based on the dot....

rafraf

Thanks, again . That is not the case. The doc is a doc, it is linked
to another template.

So what happens is that when I create a new document based on the
template it has the content of the doc, but it linked to the .dot. No
dot is created nor is anything being saved to it, like I said just
creating a new doc, based on the doc, leads to the prompt to save
changes to the *template*. The same template that in any other context,
when I create a new doc directly based on it, when I create a new doc
based on the doc using the FileNew... dialog, etc, does not prompt for
changes.

rafraf

Sorry for spamming, just think I should clarify some more, about what I
am actually doing and why:

I have a template (.dot), I create a doc based on the template. In the
doc I write in the standard headers and sections for the particular
"template". So, for example, if it is a design doc, it might have
headings such as syntax, database modification, tw modifications, etc.
If it is a minute template, it might have headings such as attendees,
outcomes... both docs however refer to the same .dot file.

I then place the .doc's in the user's workgroup template directory and
make the .dot hidden so that it is not selectable. A user the creates
new documents based on doc files, but the new docs always have the
(hidden) .dot as their template.

As a result, I can have any number of templates while only having to
maintain one .dot file.

Works like a charm: except when I open the doc as a template. When I do
this, I am not prompted to save the doc as a dot, I am prompted to save
*changes* to the dot, which is down stream.

Again, thanks Charles, I hope this clarifies things rather than
complicate them.

Charles Kenyon

You are being very creative! I've never seen or heard of such an
implementation. I'm going to try it out; still not sure what advantages you
are getting from it. What does the template contain that you could not keep
in a global template?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"rafraf" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Margaret Aldis

Hi

I've used docs as "templates" in exactly this way, without getting the save
changes to template (.dot) prompt, so I don't think it is this structure
that is at fault.

I would look at what macros are running when you create your new documents.
There are various commands that make the attached .dot "dirty" - I seem to
remember reading attached template properties (for instance, to compare a
recorded version number) causes problems.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

oups.com...