Word 2010 Autosaved .asd files are disappearing

Old June 7th 15, 04:25 PM
samuelcahun samuelcahun is offline

Thumbs up Word 2010 Autosaved .asd files are disappearing

Word 2010, under File, Options, Save, I have Save AutoRecover information every 1 minute and have Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving checked. I have a path in the AutoRecover file location blank. When I create a new document, and type some text in there, I do see the .asd backup file for my unsaved document. However, when I close the document and tell it Don't Save, the .asd backup file disappears. I thought that feature meant that .asd file would remain there so I could pull it up under File, Recent, Recover Unsaved Files after I closed without saving. I need to get that working, or understand what I'm not understanding about that feature. Thanks in advance.
Old June 7th 15, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Default Word 2010 Autosaved .asd files are disappearing

You told it you didn't want it to be saved. Why would it then go ahead and
save it anyway?

Old June 12th 15, 01:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

If you discard the *.asd file, then you have also discarded the autorecover
file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 16th 15, 05:10 PM
davismcclure davismcclure is offline

Thumbs up

You can use Open and Repair feature of MS Office to repair unreadable or corrupt MS Word file, Here are the steps to repair the corrupt Word file To open a specific document by using the Open and Repair feature in Word, follow these steps or if you got severe corruption use https://word.recoverytoolbox.com/ Recovery Toolbox for Word

1. Start Word.
2. On the File menu, click Open.
Note In Word 2007 or Word 2010, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
3. In the Open dialog box, click to select the file that you want to open.
4. Click the down arrow on the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
Old June 18th 15, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Of course, for Open and Repair to work, there must be something left behind
to recover...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP