Ctrl-a, F9 doesn't work to update all fields including TOC

Old June 17th 13, 12:33 PM
TechWriter7 TechWriter7 is offline

Default Ctrl-a, F9 doesn't work to update all fields including TOC

Hi Everyone,

Ctrl-a, F9 doesn't work to update all fields including TOC. I've checked for previous threads and tired the recommendations without success (see list below). The document is only 31 pages so isn't particularly long and is version controlled in Sharepoint. I have other documents where ctrl-a, F9 still works so I believe this to be a problem with the document itself. The problem document is a template from someone else, but I have it checked out with write access.

I have tried the following:
1. Updating the cross-references or TOC individually work
2. Right-mouse on the cross-references does not show any grey'd out items indicating they are not locked fields. Anyway, I have also used ctrl-a, ctrl-shift-F11 to unlock them all just in case
3. I have used F9 to reveal the codes and everything looks fine
4. Switching to print preview and back again does not fully update the TOC eg to list new sections. I have "update fields before printing" selected in Word Options - Display

I've now run out of ideas. Any help most appreciated.

Cheers, TW7
Old June 17th 13, 12:34 PM
TechWriter7 TechWriter7 is offline

BTW - I'm using Word 2007.
Old June 19th 13, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Select All (Ctrl+A) followed by F9 should definitely work, with the
exception of fields in text boxes or headers or footers, none of which will
be included when you Select All in the main body of the document.

Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then going back to the previous
view (ESC) should work with several types of fields, including those in
headers, footers, and text boxes. However, this approach does *not* work
with TOCs, which must be updated manually, with F9, or via the update on
print option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 19th 13, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

To clarify, when "Update fields before printing" is selected in Word
Options, you should be *prompted* to update the TOC when printing, but not
necessarily when previewing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old June 19th 13, 09:10 AM
TechWriter7 TechWriter7 is offline

Thanks Stefan, but ctrl-A, F9 definitely doesn't work in one of my documents that I got from someone else. It works fine in other documents and I get the TOC update dialog asking if I want to update just the TOC numbers or the whole table. However, in this one document neither the cross references or TOC are updated. Indeed, it doesn't look like Word does anythign when I press F9. Any other ideas anyone?

Cheers, TW7.
Old June 19th 13, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Hi,

Thanks Stefan, but ctrl-A, F9 definitely doesn't work in
one of my documents that I got from someone else.

maybe, the fields are locked by Ctrl + F11. Press Ctrl+ Shift + F11 to
unlock.
Or the fields are locked by a switch (\!). Press Alt + F11 to check the
field code.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Old June 24th 13, 10:58 AM
TechWriter7 TechWriter7 is offline

Originally Posted by Lisa Wilke-Thissen View Post
[color=blue][i]
maybe, the fields are locked by Ctrl + F11. Press Ctrl+ Shift + F11 to
unlock.
Or the fields are locked by a switch (\!). Press Alt + F11 to check the
field code.
Nope. I already tried both of those (actually alt+f9 for reveal codes; alt+f11 on my machine opens the visual basic window). See original post.

Any other ideas?

Cheers, TW7.
Old June 25th 13, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Hi,

maybe, the fields are locked by Ctrl + F11.
Press Ctrl+ Shift + F11 to unlock.
Or the fields are locked by a switch (\!).
Press Alt + F11 to check the field code.

Nope. I already tried both of those (actually alt+f9
for reveal codes; alt+f11 on my machine opens
the visual basic window).

Sorry. Of course Alt + F9 toggles between field codes and field results. And
in the field codes you did not find the switch...

You wrote: "Updating the cross-references or TOC individually work".
Does this mean, fields *can* be updated, e. g. using right mouse click
(update field)? But they cannot updated by pressing F9?
Did you check shortcut keys in the document? Is F9 assigned to a different
command?

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Old December 3rd 15, 09:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

Hey Guys,

Old Thread I know.

I have outlook 2010. It used to work fine but now does not. I used to:

* Paste information in to new blank doc keeping source formatting

* Press Ctrl A then Ctrl-Shift-F9 to remove all hyperlinks

Something has changed as this hotkey combo now shows something called Field Codes, such as {HYPERLINK "http://www.wordispeevingmeoff.com"}.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this, any extensive Google search has not solved this for me.

Old December 30th 15, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom[_3_]

In the Customize Keyboard dialog box, verify that Ctrl+Shift+F9 is
assigned to the UnlinkFields command. If it is not, you can reassign the
shortcut.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP