kharrison

Default Mergeformat field

I have a merge format field in a header and the body of the document. Since
upgrading to Word 2003 the field is not updating automatically in the header.

Any suggestions as to why and how I can work around this?

Thanks for any assistance.

kh

Charles Kenyon

Hmm... I use mailmerge fields in footers and they work for me. (Word 2003)

Of course my use of merge is a bit different. I do not actually do a merge.
I connect to the database, find my record, and display the merged data on
screen. I then print out from the merged screen. Don't know if that makes a
difference.

On the other hand, if we are talking about the mergeformat switch in fields,
I tend to avoid it and use a charformat switch instead.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Merge fields can't be used in headers.

so
all may benefit.

"kharrison" wrote in message
I have a merge format field in a header and the body of the document.

Since
upgrading to Word 2003 the field is not updating automatically in the

header.

Any suggestions as to why and how I can work around this?

Thanks for any assistance.

kh

On reflection, I'm probably wrong. It occurs to me that it is some other
fields (such as CreateDate) that don't work in the headers/footers of merge
documents. In any case, it's not clear that the OP is referring to merge
fields.

The KB article "WD2000: Fields in Header and Footer Not Merged in E-Mail
Attachment" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214165) certainly implies
that merge fields in the header and footer usually do work.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
Hmm... I use mailmerge fields in footers and they work for me. (Word 2003)

Of course my use of merge is a bit different. I do not actually do a

merge.
I connect to the database, find my record, and display the merged data on
screen. I then print out from the merged screen. Don't know if that makes

difference.

On the other hand, if we are talking about the mergeformat switch in

fields,
I tend to avoid it and use a charformat switch instead.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Merge fields can't be used in headers.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"kharrison" wrote in message
I have a merge format field in a header and the body of the document.

Since
upgrading to Word 2003 the field is not updating automatically in the

header.

Any suggestions as to why and how I can work around this?

Thanks for any assistance.

kh

kharrison

It is information that is being pulled from a Lotus Notes Database. All the
fields in the body of the document update correctly at the time the document
is created, but the header field does not. The exact same field is in the
body of the document and it updates OK. The field is as follows:

{ DOCVARIABLE BP_Summary \* MERGEFORMAT }

"kharrison" wrote in message
I have a merge format field in a header and the body of the document.
Since
upgrading to Word 2003 the field is not updating automatically in the
header.

Any suggestions as to why and how I can work around this?

Thanks for any assistance.

kh

Doug Robbins

You either have to use code to iterate through the headers in all sections
in the document and update the fields in the .Range of each header, or use
Print Preview which should also cause the fields in the headers and footers
to be updated.

ActiveDocument.PrintPreview
ActiveDocument.ClosePrintPreview

consulting basis.