Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy Fish Andy Fish is offline

Default comment author changes when document saved

Hi,

I have one specific document that exhibits very strange behaviour when
working with comments and tracked changes.

if I open the document and make a comment, the comment comes out with my
name on it. However, as soon as I save the document, the name associated
with the comment changes to the word "Author"

I have tried it on several PCs (all office 2003) to the same effect.

I have tried re-saving the document to a new name and also saving it to XML
and back, and the problem is still there, so I don't think there is
corruption within the document itself.

does anyone have any idea what could cause this to happen?

TIA

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Andy

Tools Options Security. If the box at "Remove personal information from
file properties on save" is ticked, then all personal information, including
the names of the authors of comments, is removed when the file is saved. In
that case, since Word has to ascribe the comment to someone, so it uses the
generic "Author" text.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have one specific document that exhibits very strange behaviour when
working with comments and tracked changes.

if I open the document and make a comment, the comment comes out with my
name on it. However, as soon as I save the document, the name associated
with the comment changes to the word "Author"

I have tried it on several PCs (all office 2003) to the same effect.

I have tried re-saving the document to a new name and also saving it to
XML and back, and the problem is still there, so I don't think there is
corruption within the document itself.

does anyone have any idea what could cause this to happen?

TIA

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk is offline

D'oh!

Thanks - I knew about that option but I presumed it was a user option
rather than applying on a per-document basis

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have one specific document that exhibits very strange behaviour when
working with comments and tracked changes.

if I open the document and make a comment, the comment comes out with my
name on it. However, as soon as I save the document, the name associated
with the comment changes to the word "Author"

I have tried it on several PCs (all office 2003) to the same effect.

I have tried re-saving the document to a new name and also saving it to
XML and back, and the problem is still there, so I don't think there is
corruption within the document itself.

does anyone have any idea what could cause this to happen?

TIA

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

I'm glad it worked.

I think the Tools Options commands are often confusing. Some apply to the
application as a whole, and others apply only to the current document. Only
trial and error will tell you which!

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

oups.com...

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Hi,

I have one specific document that exhibits very strange behaviour when
working with comments and tracked changes.

if I open the document and make a comment, the comment comes out with
my
name on it. However, as soon as I save the document, the name
associated
with the comment changes to the word "Author"

I have tried it on several PCs (all office 2003) to the same effect.

I have tried re-saving the document to a new name and also saving it to
XML and back, and the problem is still there, so I don't think there is
corruption within the document itself.

does anyone have any idea what could cause this to happen?

TIA

Andy

TheDreadedWoodenSpoon TheDreadedWoodenSpoon is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Thank you, Shauna, you've saved the day!!
On my version of Word (whatever it is...) I went to File/Options/Trust Center/Trust Center Settings/Privacy Options, and at about the middle of the page was the Remove personal information block to uncheck.