Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
twersk twersk is offline

Default .tmp files

Can somebody please tell me how to avoid seeing the squiggly ghost temp files
from appearing on my desktop everytime I open a Word doc? Sometimes I can't
even delete them because they can't be found anymore...even though they are
on my desktop! I know they are supposed to be saving the doc...but why can't
it occur invisibly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Are you opening and saving documents to your desk top?
Temporary files are an essential part of the document creation process and
cannot be avoided. They should be created in the working folders for
documents, templates and add-in templates and in the user temp folder for
Windows.
By default they do occur invisibly.
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

twersk wrote:
Can somebody please tell me how to avoid seeing the squiggly ghost
temp files from appearing on my desktop everytime I open a Word doc?
Sometimes I can't even delete them because they can't be found
anymore...even though they are on my desktop! I know they are
supposed to be saving the doc...but why can't it occur invisibly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
twersk twersk is offline

Hi Graham. That's the problem though. They are not being created invisibly.
They are little ghosts on my desktop...because the files are on my desktop.
They never used to appear before and I've always had files on the desktop.
Also shouldn't they go away when you close the file? They are still there!
Isn't there a setting?

Thanks again.

bt

twersk wrote:
Can somebody please tell me how to avoid seeing the squiggly ghost
temp files from appearing on my desktop everytime I open a Word doc?
Sometimes I can't even delete them because they can't be found
anymore...even though they are on my desktop! I know they are
supposed to be saving the doc...but why can't it occur invisibly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The temp (.tmp) files are Hidden files but if you are showing all files,
including hidden, then they will display. To turn off the view of Hidden
files, open the Windows Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options, and on the
View tab select "Do not show hidden files or folders."

Additionally, the reason you see them on your Desktop is because the
document you are opening is stored on your Desktop. Word will create some
temp files in the same folder as the document. If you don't want to see the
temp files on your Desktop and do not want to turn off the display of Hidden
files, move your document(s) off the Desktop and use a shortcut to the
documents, or folder, instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"twersk" wrote in message
Can somebody please tell me how to avoid seeing the squiggly ghost temp
files
from appearing on my desktop everytime I open a Word doc? Sometimes I
can't
even delete them because they can't be found anymore...even though they
are
on my desktop! I know they are supposed to be saving the doc...but why
can't
it occur invisibly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

They are created invisble by default, but your system has been changed, to
not see them goto a Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, select "Do
not show hidden files and folders".
If you check this you lose this facility in all Explorer operations and
other application dialog boxes, which you may not want.
Also, I would consider working with application files not on the Desktop,
but within folders for the particular project/customer/whatever, some
collegues of mine have had trouble with Word and other apps files and I put
it down to them using the desktop as a working area.
Hope this helps
DeanH

twersk wrote:
Can somebody please tell me how to avoid seeing the squiggly ghost
temp files from appearing on my desktop everytime I open a Word doc?
Sometimes I can't even delete them because they can't be found
anymore...even though they are on my desktop! I know they are
supposed to be saving the doc...but why can't it occur invisibly?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

They should go away when the calling application (Word or Outlook) is
closed. If they remain then you can delete them. You may need to reboot
before you can delete them.

You can hide them from Windows Explorer Tools Folder Options View
Hidden Files & Folders, but it is not a good idea to do so. Much better to
know a problem exists rather than have it hidden from you.