Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RBLampert RBLampert is offline

Default Identifying combo boxes for form users

I'm creating a form in Word 2002 that will use a lot of combo boxes. As far
as I can tell, it appears that the only way I can tell people who will be
filling out the form, "here is a combo box," is to shade it and trust that
they will know to click on the shaded area to get the drop-down list of
options. Is there a way to display the down-pointing arrow at the right side
of the box all the time so not-so-expert users will be cued to the fact that
they can make choices in that gray space?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Protect the form and tell your users to navigate it correctly by tabbing
between the fields. You can use an autonew macro in the document template to
provide instructions

Sub AutoNew
MsgBox "Use the TAB key to move between fields" _
& vbCr & vbCr & _
"To access multiple choices click the arrow" _
& vbCr & "at the right of the selected field"
End Sub

RBLampert wrote:
I'm creating a form in Word 2002 that will use a lot of combo boxes.
As far as I can tell, it appears that the only way I can tell people
who will be filling out the form, "here is a combo box," is to shade
it and trust that they will know to click on the shaded area to get
the drop-down list of options. Is there a way to display the
down-pointing arrow at the right side of the box all the time so
not-so-expert users will be cued to the fact that they can make
choices in that gray space?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Another alternative is to replace the information-gathering parts of the
form with a Userform
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userfo...eAUserForm.htm) containing the
combo boxes, and place only the results into the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

RBLampert wrote:
I'm creating a form in Word 2002 that will use a lot of combo boxes.
As far as I can tell, it appears that the only way I can tell people
who will be filling out the form, "here is a combo box," is to shade
it and trust that they will know to click on the shaded area to get
the drop-down list of options. Is there a way to display the
down-pointing arrow at the right side of the box all the time so
not-so-expert users will be cued to the fact that they can make
choices in that gray space?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RBLampert RBLampert is offline

Thanks, Graham. Actually, I noticed after I posted the question that with
the protected form, when a user clicks in or tabs into the table cell
containing the combo box, the down-arrow appears. Also, if I make the first
option something like "--select one--", that should serve as a good hint that
the box contains a drop-down list of choices.

Combo Box Weste Microsoft Word Help 1 March 31st 06 09:43 PM
All users access to template Jill D Microsoft Word Help 6 December 7th 05 05:41 PM
merge with an "online form" problem with text box Jessica Jones Mailmerge 7 December 5th 05 09:56 PM
Check boxes don't work for other users! Samantha Microsoft Word Help 4 August 5th 05 02:30 AM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 5th 05 11:23 PM