Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
verbster verbster is offline

Default How to edit Word template?

I'm unable to edit any text on what appears to be a Word template dated 2005.
The extension is "doc" but it has fields that are shaded and allow text
input. All that is allowed is the filling in of fields that are shaded, but I
need to update some of the existing content.

When I check under Developer/Document Protect, "unrestricted access" is
checked. Everything in the Developer/Controls group is grayed out except for
the legacy tools folder. I've checked under the Windows button and don't see
anything under the "Prepare" or other menu items which indicate any
restrictions . . . but there has to be something blocking my access to the
document's content.

Any suggestions or advice would be truly appreciated. I ill gladly answer
questions.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You *should* be able to unprotect it using the button on the Review tab. If
not, insert the file into a new blank document (Insert | Text | Object |
Text from File), which will remove the protection.

http://word.mvps.org

"verbster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
verbster verbster is offline

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to copy and paste from the document, which says
something...just not sure what. Can't grab anything....can't change
anything. Couldn't unprotect it from the Review tab, but maybe I missed
something; exactly which button am I looking for?

"verbster" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did I say anything about copying and pasting? No. Create a new blank
document. In that document, click on Insert | Text | Object | Text from File
and navigate to the document that contains the form. Insert that in your new
document, and protection will be removed.

http://word.mvps.org

"verbster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
verbster verbster is offline

Thanks for the clarification. The text inserted as unprotected, which was
great ...thank you. Unfortunately, the formatting for the inserted content
(which was a one page form with tables and such) was all over the place.
Even so, thank you very much

"verbster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, it helps to make sure that your new document has the same margins as
the existing one before inserting.

http://word.mvps.org

edit template Freddy[_4_] New Users 4 December 30th 07 05:24 PM
Word Template - no edit [email protected] Page Layout 5 August 19th 06 03:27 PM
Change Word EditSelectAll to EditSelectSubMenu like EditClear Monte Hanrahan New Users 9 June 11th 06 07:52 PM
Own template vs. MS Word´s Edit picture-function [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 9 May 23rd 06 03:07 PM
How do I add/edit a template in word? Mollych Microsoft Word Help 2 November 23rd 04 05:00 PM