Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jlfetch jlfetch is offline

Default line numbers next to a table ... how?

I am attempting to insert line numbers into a word document and have found
that they do not appear next to a table. They cease when the table begins and
restart when it ends. I need them to appear on every line.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jlfetch jlfetch is offline

Actully, the above is not true. They're not restarting after the table
finishes, Word is not recognising that the table is there at all - it's as
though it's recognising the table as a graphic.

"jlfetch" wrote:

I am attempting to insert line numbers into a word document and have found
that they do not appear next to a table. They cease when the table begins and
restart when it ends. I need them to appear on every line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This behavior is by design. If you think about it, how would Word number
lines when each cell in a row may have a different number of lines of text?
Calculation could be extremely processor-intensive, too, if there are merged
cells and especially if the table is set to auto resize.

"jlfetch" wrote:

I am attempting to insert line numbers into a word document and have
found
that they do not appear next to a table. They cease when the table begins
and
restart when it ends. I need them to appear on every line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jlfetch jlfetch is offline

Good point, Suzanne, but the line numbers sit outside of the actual working
area of the document - in the margin. It's possible to have columns with line
numbers so surely it's somehow possible to have line numbers appearing in the
margin next to a table. Thanks for the food for thought and I'll continue to
investigate.

"jlfetch" wrote:

I am attempting to insert line numbers into a word document and have
found
that they do not appear next to a table. They cease when the table begins
and
restart when it ends. I need them to appear on every line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I understand that, but my point is still the same. Do you want a line number
for every line in column D even if there's only one line in Column A? And
Word may have difficulty figuring out how many lines there are in Column D
if the column is constantly resizing.

"jlfetch" wrote:

I am attempting to insert line numbers into a word document and have
found
that they do not appear next to a table. They cease when the table
begins
and
restart when it ends. I need them to appear on every line.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jlfetch jlfetch is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. Yes I do want a line number for every line in Column D even
if there's only one line in Column A but I also want world peace, an end to
hunger and to truly believe in Santa Claus. I think my chances of attainting
any of these things is non-existent so I shall admit defeat. Have a great
day/night in Alabama. Cheers.