Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Greg Greg is offline

Default Finding & Replacing Characters using wildcards

Hi,

I am trying to use the Find/Replace wildcard syntax and add Heading 1
styles to my text. I have turned For example I have the following
sample text in my document:

MyHead1AnthropologyHead1My
MyHead1Cell BiologyHead1My
MyHead1Center for Neuroscience and Regeneration ResearchHead1My

It is my understanding that I need to use the following in the "Find
What" box:

(MyHead1*Head1My^13)

And use the following in the "Replace With" box:

\1^p ((style "Heading 1"))

However, it doesn't apply the "Heading 1" style format instead I get:

MyHead1Anatomical PathologyHead1My

((style "Heading 1"))

Can someone explain what I need to fix to accomplish what I need?

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

You only need:
MyHead1*^13
in Find what
and:
^&
in Replace with.

With the cursor in the replace with field:
Click More and in the Search options pane click formatStyleHeading1

Greg wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use the Find/Replace wildcard syntax and add Heading 1
styles to my text. I have turned For example I have the following
sample text in my document:

MyHead1AnthropologyHead1My
MyHead1Cell BiologyHead1My
MyHead1Center for Neuroscience and Regeneration ResearchHead1My

It is my understanding that I need to use the following in the "Find
What" box:

(MyHead1*Head1My^13)

And use the following in the "Replace With" box:

\1^p ((style "Heading 1"))

However, it doesn't apply the "Heading 1" style format instead I get:

MyHead1Anatomical PathologyHead1My

((style "Heading 1"))

Can someone explain what I need to fix to accomplish what I need?

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Greg Greg is offline

Hi,

Thanks Jay & Greg for your prompt replies. I used Jay's version and it
is now working. And as Jay thought, I did want to remove the prefix
(MyHead1) and suffix (Head1My) tags from the final results.

-Greg
Greg Maxey wrote:
You only need:
MyHead1*^13
in Find what
and:
^&

Greg wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use the Find/Replace wildcard syntax and add Heading 1
styles to my text. I have turned For example I have the following
sample text in my document:

MyHead1AnthropologyHead1My
MyHead1Cell BiologyHead1My
MyHead1Center for Neuroscience and Regeneration ResearchHead1My

It is my understanding that I need to use the following in the "Find
What" box:

(MyHead1*Head1My^13)

And use the following in the "Replace With" box:

\1^p ((style "Heading 1"))

However, it doesn't apply the "Heading 1" style format instead I get:

MyHead1Anatomical PathologyHead1My

((style "Heading 1"))

Can someone explain what I need to fix to accomplish what I need?

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Greg,

Glad your issue is resolved. After reading Jay's reply I figures he
deduced your actual intent. I on the other hand tend to just "anwer
the question." Must be conditioning from my regular job ;-)

Greg wrote:
Hi,

Thanks Jay & Greg for your prompt replies. I used Jay's version and it
is now working. And as Jay thought, I did want to remove the prefix
(MyHead1) and suffix (Head1My) tags from the final results.

-Greg
Greg Maxey wrote:
You only need:
MyHead1*^13
in Find what
and:
^&

Greg wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use the Find/Replace wildcard syntax and add Heading 1
styles to my text. I have turned For example I have the following
sample text in my document:

MyHead1AnthropologyHead1My
MyHead1Cell BiologyHead1My
MyHead1Center for Neuroscience and Regeneration ResearchHead1My

It is my understanding that I need to use the following in the "Find
What" box:

(MyHead1*Head1My^13)

And use the following in the "Replace With" box:

\1^p ((style "Heading 1"))

However, it doesn't apply the "Heading 1" style format instead I get:

MyHead1Anatomical PathologyHead1My

((style "Heading 1"))

Can someone explain what I need to fix to accomplish what I need?

-Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Greg Greg is offline

Hi,

Opps, I should mention I modifed my "Find What" syntax to:

(MyHead1)(*)(Head1My^13)

And "Replace With" syntax to:

\2^p

This got me what I wanted!

Thanks again,
Greg
Greg wrote:
Hi,

Thanks Jay & Greg for your prompt replies. I used Jay's version and it
is now working. And as Jay thought, I did want to remove the prefix
(MyHead1) and suffix (Head1My) tags from the final results.

-Greg
Greg Maxey wrote:
You only need:
MyHead1*^13
in Find what
and:
^&

Greg wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to use the Find/Replace wildcard syntax and add Heading 1
styles to my text. I have turned For example I have the following
sample text in my document:

MyHead1AnthropologyHead1My
MyHead1Cell BiologyHead1My
MyHead1Center for Neuroscience and Regeneration ResearchHead1My

It is my understanding that I need to use the following in the "Find
What" box:

(MyHead1*Head1My^13)

And use the following in the "Replace With" box:

\1^p ((style "Heading 1"))

However, it doesn't apply the "Heading 1" style format instead I get:

MyHead1Anatomical PathologyHead1My

((style "Heading 1"))

Can someone explain what I need to fix to accomplish what I need?

-Greg

Finding & Replacing Characters using wildcards Greg Microsoft Word Help 5 October 20th 06 08:51 PM
Finding words that are 34 characters or higher--search expression erik_gregory Microsoft Word Help 1 February 7th 06 01:57 AM
Finding and replacing symbols Hans L Microsoft Word Help 0 November 6th 05 02:00 AM
finding special characters New Users 2 June 1st 05 09:51 AM
Wildcards using [ ] characters Jacob Microsoft Word Help 3 February 8th 05 07:44 AM