duffdeal duffdeal is offline
Junior Member

Lightbulb Find all instances of a certain word and replace with hyperlink of same word

Hello

I would like a macro or method to find and replace instance of a word in a large word document with a hyperlink who's display text is the same as the original word.

Example: I would search for 'project' and replace all instances with a hyperlink www.example.com with the display text remaining 'project'.

I have found many macros that are tantalisingly close but not quite what I need. For example, a macro from another site will change all the hyperlink addresses in a document and their display text.

I thought I could change all the instances of 'project' to a hyperlink using inbuilt find and replace, then use that macro to change the display text. However, the inbuilt find and replace function does not create hyperlinks, you have to move the cursor to the unlinked text and press space/enter to activate it. That's not viable in a large document.

To be really persnickety, it would be amazing if it only changed normal body text rather than all text, so I could leave headings and headers unchanged. I imagine this is possible by using the inbuilt find and replace to replace only normal text, then a macro to add the hyperlinks, perhaps.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by duffdeal : May 31st 12 at 12:23 PM Reason: Missed out the hello
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Find all instances of a certain word and replace with hyperlinkof same word

One possibility is to loop all hyperlink objects in a document and set
the address depending on the display text:

Dim h As Hyperlink
For Each h In ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks
If h.TextToDisplay = "project" Then
h.Address = "http://word.mvps.org"
End If
Next h

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For more on macros, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although Stefan's macro is doubtless more efficient, you can certainly
replace a word with a working URL. You just have to run AutoFormat over the
text (with all options other than "Internet and network paths with
hyperlinks" disabled) to convert the URLs to hyperlinks. Once you've done
that, you can replace the URLs with the display text (the underlying
hyperlink will not be changed).

http://word.mvps.org

"duffdeal" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Tom,

"duffdeal" wrote
I would like a macro or method to find and replace instance of
a word in a large word document with a hyperlink who's display
text is the same as the original word.

Example: I would search for 'project' and replace all instances
with a hyperlink www.example.com with the display text remaining
'project'.

1. create a hyperlink (Ctrl+K ...) you need,
2. select, and copy the hyperlink (Ctrl+C),
3. Ctrl + H:
Find what: [your word, e. g. project]
Replace with: ^c [= content of clipboard]

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]