Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
GordonM GordonM is offline

Default Header and Footer height and spacing from the top and bottom of a

I have a document that was created in Word 2000 and I opened it in Word 2003.
The result seemed to be identical.

However, I wish to add one page of the document to a new open document (in
Word 2003). I did a copy and paste of the complete page, however, the page
will not fit on the page in the new document (it's the same paper size, of
course). The difference seems to be in the vertical size of the header and
footer (I had to add the contents of these afterwards, as they weren't
included in the copy and paste). I have reduced the top and bottom page
margins as much as possible, but the positions of the header and footer and
their height will not reduce to be a small as those for the original
document. Is there any way to force these vertical dimensions to be smaller?

Thank you
Gordon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When you paste text into a header or footer, you invariably wind up with an
extra empty paragraph. This is true no matter how carefully you select all
but the paragraph mark to copy and include the paragraph mark when pasting.
Display nonprinting characters and you'll doubtless see this extra
paragraph, which you can delete.

"GordonM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
GordonM GordonM is offline

Default Header and Footer height and spacing from the top and bottom o

Suzanne - Thank you for the reply. What you have suggested was something
that I initially found, an extra paragraph mark in the header, but I had
already removed this. The headers are not the same vertical size in the new
and old documents. The fonts are the same. The top of the header "box" is
further down from the top of the page in the new document, compared with the
old and the top of the footer is higher up. This is despite the fact that
the top and bottom margins are smaller for the new document than for the old.

Thank you
Gordon

"GordonM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Did you change the actual header and footer margins?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

When you paste text into a header or footer, you invariably wind up with

an
extra empty paragraph. This is true no matter how carefully you select

all
but the paragraph mark to copy and include the paragraph mark when

pasting.
Display nonprinting characters and you'll doubtless see this extra
paragraph, which you can delete.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"GordonM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
GordonM GordonM is offline

Suzanne - That did the trick, thank you. I hadn't noticed the Header/Footer
"From Edge" setting in Page Set-up before.

Gordon