Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default How do I change default formatting for footnotes/endnotes in Word

I've been looking for a simple way to change the (inadequate and for my field
incorrect) default formatting for footnotes and endnotes in Word 2007. The
footnote/endnote section on the "Reference" tab that appears on the Ribbon
gives no way to change formatting such as font size and indentation, even on
the €śFootnote and Endnote€ť box that appears when you click the arrow in the
lower right corner. (This seems to me the sensible spot for being able to
permanently change footnote/endnote formatting.)

Each individual note can, of course, be re-formatted, but I would like to
change setting for all notes so that the style matches my discipline. Ive
searched through the €śHelp€ť feature of Word 2007, and through the Microsoft
online resources, but cant find an answer to what seems a relatively simple
matter.

Thanks in advance for whatever help I can get.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I change default formatting for footnotes/endnotes in Word

Hi there! I can definitely help you with changing the default formatting for footnotes and endnotes in Word 2007. Here are the steps:
  1. Open a new or existing Word document.
  2. Click on the "References" tab in the Ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Footnotes" section, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner to open the "Footnote and Endnote" dialog box.
  4. In the "Footnote and Endnote" dialog box, click on the "Footnote" or "Endnote" tab, depending on which one you want to change.
  5. Make the desired changes to the formatting options, such as font size and indentation.
  6. Click on the "Set As Default" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
  7. In the "Normal.dotm" template dialog box that appears, click on the "OK" button to confirm the changes.

That's it! Now, all new footnotes or endnotes you create in any Word document will have the formatting options you just set as default. Note that this will not affect any existing footnotes or endnotes in your document, but you can easily reformat them individually as needed.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

You can change the layout, fonts, etc of the footnote and endnote Styles (eg via Alt-o, s, selecting the Style, then Modify|Format &
choose the attributes would want to alter). If you save the Style changes back to your document template, they'll apply to all new
documents based on that template.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default How do I change default formatting for footnotes/endnotes in W

Hi,

Thanks for your help, but I fear that I need mo In Word 2007, when one
hits Alt -o,s what appears is the "Style" box that can otherwise be found on
the "Home" tab of the Ribbon when clicking the arrow in the lower right-hand
corner. This box merely reproduces a menu of the preset styles available in
the "Styles" section of the "Home" tab.

So, maybe I'm not following correctly and, if so, I apologize.

John

"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Hi John,

You are already in the correct spot. You just need to look a little
bit further. In the menu, at the bottom there should be 3 buttons.
Click the right one "Manage Styles". In the window popping up, on the
Edit tab, you can then select "Footnote text" or "Endnote text". By
clicking on modify you can set the format exactly the way you want.

HTH

Yves

"macropod" wrote:
Hi,

You can change the layout, fonts, etc of the footnote and endnote Styles (eg via Alt-o, s, selecting the Style, then Modify|Format &
choose the attributes would want to alter). If you save the Style changes back to your document template, they'll apply to all new
documents based on that template.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Prof. JR" wrote in ...
I've been looking for a simple way to change the (inadequate and for my field
incorrect) default formatting for footnotes and endnotes in Word 2007.. *The
footnote/endnote section on the "Reference" tab that appears on the Ribbon
gives no way to change formatting such as font size and indentation, even on
the “Footnote and Endnote” box that appears when you click *the arrow in the
lower right corner. *(This seems to me the sensible spot for being able to
permanently change footnote/endnote formatting.)

Each individual note can, of course, be re-formatted, but I would like to
change setting for all notes so that the style matches my discipline. *I’ve
searched through the “Help” feature of Word 2007, and through the Microsoft
online resources, but can’t find an answer to what seems a relatively simple
matter.

Thanks in advance for whatever help I can get.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

On the styles part, click the little arrow so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default How do I change default formatting for footnotes/endnotes--THANKS

Hi Yves,

Thanks so much for the help; this works, although I can't seem to
permanently set the default differently for footnotes and endnotes. For
example, articles to journals typically need single-spaced footnotes, while
my book editors want double-spaced endnotes (presumably so that the endnotes
can be laid next to the text and edited). But whichever spacing I set in the
"Manage Styles" ends up applying to both, even if I select footnote text and
apply single-space, and then select endnote text and apply double-space.

This is a pretty minor problem since the formatting can be set once for a
document, which would use either footnotes or endnotes.

Thanks again.

John

"macropod" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Prof. JR,

A Style can't have more than one definition within the same document.

A change to the 'Footnote Text' Style shouldn't affect the 'Endnote Text' Style, since the two aren't interdependently related -
they're both based on the documents 'Normal' Style. So, only a change to the 'Normal' Style would affect both the 'Footnote Text'
Style and the 'Endnote Text' Style.

If you need to create documents using different layouts for the 'Footnote Text' Style and/or the 'Endnote Text' Style Ieg for
journals and books), you'll need two templates. The neat thing about this is that, if you use different versions of the same Style
in the two documents, text copied from one to the other will change format to suit the Style definitions in the target document. If
you want to use the same document for more than one purpose, then a simply change to the Style definition will update all the text
based on that Style in one go.

--
Cheers
macropod

"macropod" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default How do I change default formatting for footnotes/endnotes--THA

Hi,

Ah, thanks, and thanks for all your help.

John