Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jedale jedale is offline

Default indexing multiple outline headers within a page.

I have looked through the word help files which tells me that there is
a way to index the styleref of the first Outline/Paragraph header or
the last on a page. I was wondering if there was a way to index the
Outline/Paragraph headers that start and stop on the same page? So
pretty much everything in between the first and last Outline/Paragraph
headers. Here is an example:

===Page 1===

1.0 Introduction [1.0 Outline header]

2.0 Scope [1.0 Outline header]

===Page 2===
2.0 Scope (con't) [1.0 Outline header]

3.0 Purpose [1.0 Outline header]

4.0 Precautions [1.0 Outline header]

===Page 3 ===

So if I had a field referencing the styleref of the first 1.0 Outline
header on page 2 then it would come back with "2.0 Scope."

And if I had a field referenceing the styleref of the last 1.0 Outline
header on page 2 then it would come back with "4.0 Precautions."

My question is how do I get a field reference to the "3.0 Purpose"
section?

Thanks for any and all help on this.
-Jeff
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jeff

jedale wrote:
I have looked through the word help files which tells me that there is
a way to index the styleref of the first Outline/Paragraph header or
the last on a page. I was wondering if there was a way to index the
Outline/Paragraph headers that start and stop on the same page? So
pretty much everything in between the first and last Outline/Paragraph
headers. Here is an example:

===Page 1===

1.0 Introduction [1.0 Outline header]

2.0 Scope [1.0 Outline header]

===Page 2===
2.0 Scope (con't) [1.0 Outline header]

3.0 Purpose [1.0 Outline header]

4.0 Precautions [1.0 Outline header]

===Page 3 ===

So if I had a field referencing the styleref of the first 1.0 Outline
header on page 2 then it would come back with "2.0 Scope."

hmm, it's been some time I've dug into STYLEREF field switches, but I'm
not sure you'd get Scope on Page two (unless, of course, there's an
actual heading instance with it on page two itself).

And if I had a field referenceing the styleref of the last 1.0 Outline
header on page 2 then it would come back with "4.0 Precautions."

My question is how do I get a field reference to the "3.0 Purpose"
section?

You don't. There's conceptually no way for the application to decide
which entry you want (imagine there are 7 headings on the page), and
there's no field switch to instruct Word to get the "n-th heading" on
the page, anyway.

You could of course bookmark the heading instance and insert a REF
field, but then you need page-wyse sections and the whole thing probably
collapses into itself.

Real dictionary-style headings like this (continuing) seem to be pretty
hard in Word that way.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jedale jedale is offline

Thanks for your reply. I would think that this would be a good
capability to include in future versions of word.

-Jeff