Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Surffreak Surffreak is offline

Default Black tables after converting word to pdf

Can someone please help me with this. I use vista and office for vista. My
clients use 2000 or XP versions. I took one of their formats and edited it.
When I e-mail the document to them and they convert to pdf, all of the tables
and graphics are black. The tables were pasted from excel vista. Graphics
are jpg. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it. PS, I use
Acrobay 8, i am sure theirs is older.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Surffreak

Surffreak wrote:
Can someone please help me with this. I use vista and office for vista. My
clients use 2000 or XP versions. I took one of their formats and edited it.
When I e-mail the document to them and they convert to pdf, all of the tables
and graphics are black. The tables were pasted from excel vista. Graphics
are jpg. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it. PS, I use
Acrobay 8, i am sure theirs is older.

they are black when they print it, or on-screen already? The whole cells
are black (no text visible)? Or only, say, colored border lines turn to
black?

I take it nothing of this happens when _you_ convert to PDF? [Though
that doesn't really matter much. If it already does on your side, what
happens when you use the Office 2007 PDF/XPS Add-In?]

What I would try in a situation like this: make sure the 2007 document
is created in legacy mode (DOC). And try recreating the tables (i.e.,
create a new table in Word with the needed dimension, then copy/paste
the Excel content as raw text only).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

It happens on conversion to PDF and Word 2007 can't handle the conversion of
a 256 page document I had which had 1 graphic that became solid black fill.

I then used 2 other PDF programs neither of which could convert the 256 page
document to a PDF they said error no reason. Word 2007 just wouldn't do it
at any point it rejected the document every time - it started the process
but it appears each time it reached this graphic it aborted the PDF.

The document had been created using 2003 and 2007 and I put it together
using Word 2003 and then PDF with Word 2007. I also tried converting it to
2007 and PDF but same problem. The original document with the graphic had
the same problem when I tried.

I then used Adobe 8.1 Professional which converted the document to a PDF in
full retaining the one graphic as a solid black image.

I posted to this list but no answer - was it size that Word 2007 would not
convert the document to PDF or was it the 1 graphic that became a solid
black image on conversion to PDF?

I think it may be a mix of Word 2003/2007 when the document becomes combined
from separate documents into one large document which in this case is what
happened. And only this 1 graphic remained a full solid black image as
though one had put a table or text box of solid black fill over the graphic.

I then put this graphic in a table to see if it helped - no difference.
I then repasted the graphic from original document - no change - therefore
the graphic error is with the graphic from the original document that was
created before it was sent to me.

It is not a PDF error in Adobe 8.1 even though it is the one that makes the
graphic appear solid black - as Word 2007 PDF would not even convert the
document to PDF.

It appears normal in Word document sent to myself and in the new document I
created to join several chapters together. The black graphic happens only on
PDF conversion attempts.

It has to do with Word 2003, Word 2007 and the source of the graphic perhaps
and PDF Adobe Professional code as it was the only PDF that even completed
the PDF.

I find it odd that Word 2007 actually created the PDF as the time involved
in the black graphic on first try is massive. I had at least 100 graphics
and Word 2007 PDF converter would not touch the document either as it was
delivered to me online in Chapter Form or after I had pasted the graphic
into a new document at my end.

There was no resolution to this issue - I had to advise the recipient that
one graphic on page x was solid black - they would have to try and reinsert
from original source and/or recreate the graphic as a table not a graphic.

That's my input.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hello Surffreak

Surffreak wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Surffreak Surffreak is offline

Jules, there is a "save as pdf" option which works for me, however, it is
only for vista and my clients can't use it. It is a download from Microsoft.
It might work for you. I have tried everything I can think of. I even
installed my Office 7 standard and my Acrobat 8 standard to a brand new vista
laptop and have the same problem then upgraded to Acrobat 8 pro, same
problem. So the problem is definately with Office 7, both standard and
professional (tried both). Microsoft level tech support was supposed to call
but didn't and the other support guy I was dealing with is gone. I guess
they can't figure it out either. Also, if I open a functioning linked
document (created in office 2003) in word 7 (compatability mode) and work on
it, it will never convert properly even on a 2003/xp system.

"Surffreak" wrote:

Can someone please help me with this. I use vista and office for vista. My
clients use 2000 or XP versions. I took one of their formats and edited it.
When I e-mail the document to them and they convert to pdf, all of the tables
and graphics are black. The tables were pasted from excel vista. Graphics
are jpg. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it. PS, I use
Acrobay 8, i am sure theirs is older.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Surffreak Surffreak is offline

The tables appear black with no data, acrobat says they are graphics. I need
the tables to be linked to excel. I will try the pdf/xps add in but I am
working in compatability mode (.doc) so don't think it will help.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Surffreak

Surffreak wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

I received chapter documents created in both Word 2003 and Word 2007 from
USA - the docs look fine on screen and are loaded with graphics as it is a
Masters thesis and some older graphic/text documents were also added to join
all thesis docs together.

I created my own new document in 2003 and put together the chapters but no
PDF I used (4 all up) plus Word 2007 PDF option would convert the file to
PDF at all - only Acrobat Professional 8 latest version - and this one
graphic was a black box. Now if no PDF will touch a graphic it has to be
code attached to that graphic source - as I was not the source of any of the
documents I could not fix the root of the problem with what I tried. The new
document was 276 pages and Word 2007 didn't want to know about it for PDF it
just quit on me and I tried it 10 times after different changes.

I use WinXP Professional but that is not the issue nor is Vista it is a Word
2000 upwards 2003/2007 graphic issue or Excel issue perhaps. I would imagine
the graphics in this document which are in other documents have a source
issue from Word or Excel just not sure which.

I am grateful my 100 graphics stayed okay only 1 graphic did the black box
trick. I didn't email I uploaded using MSWord Beta WorkSpace - excellent for
this type of collaboration.

"Surffreak" wrote:

Can someone please help me with this. I use vista and office for vista.
My
clients use 2000 or XP versions. I took one of their formats and edited
it.
When I e-mail the document to them and they convert to pdf, all of the
tables
and graphics are black. The tables were pasted from excel vista.
Graphics
are jpg. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it. PS, I use
Acrobay 8, i am sure theirs is older.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

You said your tables were pasted from Excel - therefore they are not linked
to Excel. I don't believe you can retain Excel Links with Word on email -
you would have to unlink and send the Word document - but perhaps I
misunderstand you.

"Surffreak" wrote in message
The tables appear black with no data, acrobat says they are graphics. I
need
the tables to be linked to excel. I will try the pdf/xps add in but I am
working in compatability mode (.doc) so don't think it will help.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Surffreak

Surffreak wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

Word PDF does not work - it says "Report Failed due to Error"".

This is definitely an MS issue and they should look to resolve it. Perhaps
you should forward these emails to them.

"Surffreak" wrote in message
The tables appear black with no data, acrobat says they are graphics. I
need
the tables to be linked to excel. I will try the pdf/xps add in but I am
working in compatability mode (.doc) so don't think it will help.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Surffreak

Surffreak wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

It leads me to believe from what you say Surffreak that Vista/Word/Excel and
WinXP/Word/Excel have a coding that has a compatibility bug somehwere and
when we try to manipulate and combine the final Word documents either in
Word 2000 /2003/2007 the black box issue arises _ and PDF Word or any other
PDF program does not want to know - is the Vista Save As PDF Word Download
different from WinXP Word download - I thought the add-in was universal for
Word 2007 regardless of operating system?

"Surffreak" wrote:

Can someone please help me with this. I use vista and office for vista.
My
clients use 2000 or XP versions. I took one of their formats and edited
it.
When I e-mail the document to them and they convert to pdf, all of the
tables
and graphics are black. The tables were pasted from excel vista.
Graphics
are jpg. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it. PS, I use
Acrobay 8, i am sure theirs is older.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

Yes I opened my Word 2003 document I created in Word 2007 and it never
worked. But the original documents were created using both Word/Excel/Vista
2003/2007 so it was doomed from the start - lucky it was only 1 graphic not
100 graphics.

"Surffreak" wrote:

Can someone please help me with this. I use vista and office for vista.
My
clients use 2000 or XP versions. I took one of their formats and edited
it.
When I e-mail the document to them and they convert to pdf, all of the
tables
and graphics are black. The tables were pasted from excel vista.
Graphics
are jpg. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it. PS, I use
Acrobay 8, i am sure theirs is older.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

It's not a new problem. I've had issues with black areas when converting to
a .pdf with Acrobat. It's been something that creeps up across several
programs and has been happening for several years.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Surffreak" wrote:

Can someone please help me with this. I use vista and office for
vista. My
clients use 2000 or XP versions. I took one of their formats and
edited it.
When I e-mail the document to them and they convert to pdf, all of the
tables
and graphics are black. The tables were pasted from excel vista.
Graphics
are jpg. Anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it. PS, I
use
Acrobay 8, i am sure theirs is older.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jules,

The Office 2007 Save As PDF and Save As XPS add-ins are compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista, but there can be some issues
with Office if you're using a 64 bit version of Windows.

Have you checked the website for the graphics card manufacturer to see if your graphics card driver is current?

Do you get the same results if you Save as XPS as when you Save as PDF?

If you install the Office 2007 Document Image Writer Option from
Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel under the Microsoft Office choice there (unless you're on 64-bit Windows) and print
to that driver do you still get the black areas?

Do you have a link you can provide to a copy of the problem document?

===============
"Jules" wrote in message ...
It leads me to believe from what you say Surffreak that Vista/Word/Excel and
WinXP/Word/Excel have a coding that has a compatibility bug somehwere and
when we try to manipulate and combine the final Word documents either in
Word 2000 /2003/2007 the black box issue arises _ and PDF Word or any other
PDF program does not want to know - is the Vista Save As PDF Word Download
different from WinXP Word download - I thought the add-in was universal for
Word 2007 regardless of operating system?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

I run Intel Macs WinXP Professional - auto updates everything is automated
and current in 32 bit.

But just fyi I just opened the doc in Word 2003 and went to page 78 - page
before graphic problem page. I then scrolled to next page and the graphic
showed as solid black (so it is in the Word document it stores this info) I
hadn't seen it do that before - then I scrolled back up and it changed to
the coloured graphic - interesting really? It is something to do with how
this one original graphic is created/stored in thee Word doc. The documents
were sent to me for format only - I didn't create graphics or original
documents at all.

Is that a fair assumption - it is code located in the Word document?

In 276 pages there must 265 graphics. So it is the way the Word doc stored
this particular graphic - interesting!

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"Jules" wrote in message
It leads me to believe from what you say Surffreak that Vista/Word/Excel
and
WinXP/Word/Excel have a coding that has a compatibility bug somehwere and
when we try to manipulate and combine the final Word documents either in
Word 2000 /2003/2007 the black box issue arises _ and PDF Word or any
other
PDF program does not want to know - is the Vista Save As PDF Word Download
different from WinXP Word download - I thought the add-in was universal
for
Word 2007 regardless of operating system?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jules[_3_] Jules[_3_] is offline

Thanks for the offer Bob but it would have to be offline due to
confidentiality.
I also didn't have time to "play" I was on a deadline.

"Jules" wrote in message
It leads me to believe from what you say Surffreak that Vista/Word/Excel
and
WinXP/Word/Excel have a coding that has a compatibility bug somehwere and
when we try to manipulate and combine the final Word documents either in
Word 2000 /2003/2007 the black box issue arises _ and PDF Word or any
other
PDF program does not want to know - is the Vista Save As PDF Word Download
different from WinXP Word download - I thought the add-in was universal
for
Word 2007 regardless of operating system?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Locksmith Locksmith is offline

For embedded Excel sheets within Word, one workaround I have been using is to
delete the sheet that turns black within Word, save the document, reopen it
and recreate the sheet from scratch. Simply copying it, deleting and pasting
does not always work. One time, saving the document as .docx (from a 2003
..doc) solved the problem. In another case, even doing that resulted in the
black embedded Excel worksheets. But that occurs only in PDF conversion, and
it seems to happen when using Office 2007 to handle 2003 documents.

The Microsoft PDF addin seems to avoid the black worksheets a bit better,
but they do lose visual quality.

Lock