Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

Default Unexpected alignment when using styles for headings 1, 1.1, 1.1.1

Note: Continued at 07/27/08 thread.

"Liontamer" wrote:

Hello All
My OS = Windows XP Professional Media Center Ed, SP2
Question = MS Word 2007
What I am experiencing: I am trying to use the styles for lists. The
headings I'm using are 1, then 1.1, then 1.1.1, then sometimes 1.1.1.1 Okay,
now I've started creating my document, and it was going quite well for a
couple of pages. (Yippie!) But then the mean ol "gremlin" came out. Here's
what happened. When I hit the enter button at the end of a Heading 1.1.1
paragraph, the cursor ends the paragraph and goes to the next line. (This is
not the problem yet.) Now, I press the Heading 2 Style for 1.1 and I get my
next section of my document (in my current document it's 6.3). However, the
6.3 is surrounded by a box. So, I proceed to type the line for that section
6.3. It types out correctly. Then I hit enter. And the cursor does
something unexpected. It raises up slightly above the line in a "superscript
position" just slightly above the line itself. (I am now confused.) Because
what should have happened is the cursor needed to go to the next line below
where I just got done typing. (Now wait the problem gets better!)

(Okay, me being me, I try endlessly to tame the Lion. I try to make a nice
juicy steak. No luck.) But in actuality here's what I did next. I hit the
enter key again. And the cursor drops down one line, but it stays at the
same location. In other words, it's still at the end of the line just above.
(utt-o Did I do something wrong? I don't think so.) (So, I continue my
quest to tame this beast.)

I right click the line just above (that's my 6.3 line) and I click the
paragraph symbol to see the paragraph marks. I'm hoping to get some clues as
to what's going on in my document. (I wanna tame that beast!) And now I
encounter a symbol looking like an anchor. The anchor symbol hangs to the
right of the box surrounding the line 6.3, just off the paragraph symbol too.
(Why this is so, I don't know.)

So, I do some comparisons between my lines 6.2 and 6.3. And what do I
discover? The little anchor symbol is in different spots on both my lines.
(Ah Ha!)

On line 6.2, the anchor symbol is just left and below the line number 6.2
itself. It actually appears below the box surrounding line 6.2 and at the
same level as line 6.2.1. (That's not where the anchor is for my line 6.3)
So, this must be why I'm having this problem. I just don't know what to do
about it.

I've currently read some of Shauna Kelly's (MVP) pages for Word 2002 and
2003, but that's not up to date for 2007. However, her pages have most
definitely helped me understand and clarify some basic stuff about Word.
She's really terrific. Visit her site for some background on prior verisions
of Word.

Well, I know my problem has something to do with where this anchor symbol
appears on my line 6.3. It may have something to do with formating. I just
haven't learnt enough yet about how this all works yet. (So much to read.
My head hurts.)

So, if any of you people understand this and can help then I'd really
appreciate it. There's just got to be a way to control what's happening here
in my document. And I'd like to know how it got that way too. I just don't
understand it. I was doing the same thing I did in prior parts of my
document.

Have a nice day to all of you.