Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maurice

Default index

I have written several books using Word (2002). After I finish the book I
create a table of contents. Finally I create an Index. I have done it
automatically before (I did not mark any of the entries; I simply allowed the
program to create the index). I only had to do a minor amount of editing with
the automatically created index. With the last book I only get one entry for
the Index. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Hi Maurice -

AFAIK, Word doesn't have an 'Autmatic Index' feature as it has no idea what
to include in the index unless you tell it.

The two _simple_ options are to mark the entries or use a concordance file
which enables the 'AutoMark' capability & he entries are read from it.
Perhaps the latter is what you have done in the past.

Regards |:)

"Maurice" wrote:

I have written several books using Word (2002). After I finish the book I
create a table of contents. Finally I create an Index. I have done it
automatically before (I did not mark any of the entries; I simply allowed the
program to create the index). I only had to do a minor amount of editing with
the automatically created index. With the last book I only get one entry for
the Index. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maurice

Thanks CyberTaz, I appreciate your comments. I think there's a ghost in my
program. Here's what I did. I took a previous book that I wrote and deleted
everything except the chapter headings, the first paragraph in the chapters,
the first heading, and the first paragraph after that heading in each
chapter. I then pasted my outline for each new chapter of the new book and
wrote the book that way. It was an easy way to use the old book as a
template; I would just change the chapter headings with the new book
information. I deleted the old table of contents and the old index, but left
room for the new ones where the old ones had resided. When I finished writing
and editing the book, I created a new table of contents where the old one had
been, and then I created a new index where the old index had been. When I
clicked to create the index, a whole new one appeared with all the new
information and correct pages. I have never created a concordance or an index
in any other manner, and all the threads on index stated that that was the
only way to do it. Do you have any ideas?
Thanks again for your time.