Outline Feature

Default How do I turn off outline features and other questions

I'm typing a legal brief. The brief is presented in an outline mode, but not
as an outline, e.g. has roman numeral headings and subheadings, but it is
interspersed with text. Also, I have a horrendous problem with a certain
document. I have several instances where I go into a single space indented
quote then return to double spaced text. One of these is a cut and paste
from a different document I believe. Problem now, when I try to return to
double spacing, it double spaces the block quote. Same problem with bolding
certain text. Sometimes I get it fixed on page 15 (for instance) only to
find that the indented quote on page 4 is now double spaced. It's making me
nuts. Finally, I now have a new tool bar thing that has a little keyboard
and drop down menu. What is it, where did it come from, and how do I get rid
of it. Please help!!!
Dale