#1   Report Post  

Default Corrupted word doc - document.xml corrupted

Word document containing full semester uni work of my friend. She had NO backups and file was kept on USB key (hard to believe but true).
I have tried a number of recovery tools including onlinerecovery.com, DataNumen, Corrupt Docx etc. They all fail.
I tried renaming as .zip and extracting the document.xml - no luck.
tried hex editor to see if I could see any text - nothing.
I'm not interested in recovering the images in the file (got those ok). Just need the text if possible. (or point me to tools which might work?)
Thank you very much.

Last edited by esmond : November 10th 15 at 10:54 PM
  #2   Report Post  

The DOCX file format is just a collection of XML based layout files and other files like images packaged into one using standard "zip" compression.
The Word document does not open in Word and only shows a generic error on my Win7 SP1 PC with Office 2003 plus the Office 2007-2010-2013 file format converter installed.
Here's the details of the web page error I get when I view the extracted "document.xml" in the "XML Editor" that is part of MS Office and opens it with color-coded tagging and properly indented lines within Internet Explorer.
Message: An invalid character was found inside an entity reference.
Line: 2
Char: 1584323
Code: 0
URI: file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Bill/My Documents/Downloads/Reflective-Journal-Submission-/word/document.xml
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.
When I scroll to the end I see this where it is unable to display any mo
An invalid character was found inside an entity reference. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Bil...
w:b/w:bCs/w:sz w:val="52"/w:szCs w:val="52"//w:rPrw:tab//w:rw:r ...
  #3   Report Post  

I found a previous discussion which talks about what I discovered with the graphic data:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...e260761?page=1
Try to apply these tips in this theme. But I think anyway you have to restore the files using the program. If you have such a program try to use it. If not, then look in the Market or in Google. I sometimes use Word Recovery Toolbox. If you want to take it. http://www.oemailrecovery.com/word_recovery.html
  #4   Report Post  

See this site for help...
http://www.instructables.com/answers...ext-converter/
Good Luck!)
  #5   Report Post  

Thank you all guys for your advice! The issue has been resolved.

#6   Report Post  

If you have such a program try to use it.
เกมรูเล็ต