Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lin Daws Lin Daws is offline

Default Why don't numbers print in a straight line?

What do I need to do to get a list of numbers to print out straight. They
are typed straight on my Word document. Ex. 1250.00
309.21

prints out 1250.00
309.21

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

.... and if you're doing a list of numbers with the same number of digits
after the decimal point I would hightly recommend the Decimal Tab rather
than Flush Right - otherwise you may get a 'snaking' effect with the decimal
points that rips out a reader's eyeballs :-)

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You need to align your numbers using a right-aligned or decimal tab. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Lin Daws" wrote in message
What do I need to do to get a list of numbers to print out straight.
They
are typed straight on my Word document. Ex. 1250.00
309.21

prints out 1250.00
309.21

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the numbers have the *same* number of digits after the decimal point,
either a right-aligned or a decimal tab stop will work; it's when the number
is different that a decimal tab is required.

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
... and if you're doing a list of numbers with the same number of digits
after the decimal point I would hightly recommend the Decimal Tab rather
than Flush Right - otherwise you may get a 'snaking' effect with the

decimal
points that rips out a reader's eyeballs :-)

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You need to align your numbers using a right-aligned or decimal tab. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Lin Daws" wrote in message
What do I need to do to get a list of numbers to print out straight.
They
are typed straight on my Word document. Ex. 1250.00
309.21

prints out 1250.00
309.21

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi all

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If the numbers have the *same* number of digits after the decimal point,
either a right-aligned or a decimal tab stop will work; it's when the number
is different that a decimal tab is required.

I almost have no hairs left to split, but a right-aligned tab will only
work if the used font is fixed-width or when its digits are fixed-width.

Professional typographers use different digits of the same fonts in
normal text and, say, in a table (exactly that the numbers allign
properly, i.e. 1111.4 will take the same amount of space as 6970.2).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In my experience, the figures in common fonts are fixed-width. This might
not be true of nonlining figures, but in fonts that have lining figures, I
have never found any that are not designed to be of equal width, precisely
for use in tables.

0123456789
1234567890
2345678901
3456789012
etc.

I think you will find these numbers line up in any font in which you care to

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi all

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If the numbers have the *same* number of digits after the decimal point,
either a right-aligned or a decimal tab stop will work; it's when the

number
is different that a decimal tab is required.

I almost have no hairs left to split, but a right-aligned tab will only
work if the used font is fixed-width or when its digits are fixed-width.

Professional typographers use different digits of the same fonts in
normal text and, say, in a table (exactly that the numbers allign
properly, i.e. 1111.4 will take the same amount of space as 6970.2).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
In my experience, the figures in common fonts are fixed-width. This might
not be true of nonlining figures, but in fonts that have lining figures, I
have never found any that are not designed to be of equal width, precisely
for use in tables.

0123456789
1234567890
2345678901
3456789012
etc.

I think you will find these numbers line up in any font in which you care to

I have a couple of "META" font files (which I had to layout a book with
once --- very nice sans-serif font on paper, BTW, but due to many
not-quite-vertical areas not a high legibility on-screen) with
non-lining figures on my system. And of course, there are many
calligraphic fonts and things like Comic Sans MS ... :-)

In larger works, using old-style figures for numbers in text paragraphs
looks really nice (not in tables for sure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_figures

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not to beat a dead horse (g), but the numerals in Comic Sans also align
perfectly, as do the numerals in Murray Hill, Bradley Hand, Brush Script,
Commercial Script, Edwardian Script, Lucida Calligraphy, and every other
script and calligraphy font I tried. I'll give you your META fonts, since I
don't know what they are.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse (g),

Let's kill it off for good now! ;-)

but the numerals in Comic Sans also align perfectly,

Ah, but that's not quite true (at least not in my Comic Sans MS on Word
2000): even if you look at your example in 500% zoom, watch line #2
(starting with "1") and #3 (with 2): the nubmers are all horizontally "off".

And to make the case more obvious: set a line of 10x "1" and compare it
to 10x "0". In most TTF fonts I've come across, those two have the same
width, but not in Comic Sans and a couple more I've found.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, I'll grant you that experiment in Comic Sans. But what are you doing
making statistical/financial/scientific tables in Comic Sans? g

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse (g),

Let's kill it off for good now! ;-)