Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gregory La Due Gregory La Due is offline

Default Opening MailMerge Docs Problems

I have Word 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2007 installed on a computer running Vista
Home Premium. Until a couple of weeks ago everything worked fine. Then one
day I checked a mail merge document in Word 2007 and it would not open.
Gave me a message that my merge file was corrupt. I knew there was no
possible way that the file was corrupt and I was in a rush and completed
testing of the document in Word 2000 where I did not receive any error with
the same data source. The data source is a tab separated text file created
by a data management program (I can and have recreated it many times with
many different records). Also it always work fine when opening documents in
Word 2000. But, now, opening any mail merge document in Word 2002, 2003, or
2007 and word cycles thru the following: crashing, giving me a message say
document caused a serious problem the last time it opened do you wish to
open it (click on yes to both the document and the data source and then word
crashes), opening a third time get the last message with option to recover,
if I say yes to Open document and yes to recover data file, the document
will at least open.

If this was just happening on my computer I could probably live with it for
awhile, but now I have 4 customers with the same problem. I know it is not
a problem with the documents as some of them have been around for over 5
years. I know it is not a problem with the data source as I have used older
versions of the data managment program with an appropriately old datafile to
create the data source and the problem still occurs.

I have tried going into Words 'Disable Items' list and removing everything
from there but that did not make any difference.

I have tried deleting the Normal.dot as well.

It only appears to occur with computers with Vista installed as I have a
simular setup on an XP computer and it work fine.

Gregory M. La Due
Senior Programmer
Twin Tiers Technologies, Inc.
(800) 480-6467