Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
purpleman purpleman is offline

Default Merge Rule not functioning

My weekly mail-merge Access database has a field named 'LetterSent' which I
insert the date into after merging.
I add a hundred or so names to the db each week and want to use the Merge
Rule: Skip Record If Field LetterSent Is Not Blank.

But it won't work. It is trying to send to all of the records.
Any clues as to why?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you
a. defining this rule using the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box (or
e.g. the "Query Options" dialog box, or
b. inserting a SKIPIF field into the document that does something like

{ SKIPIF { MERGEFIELD LetterSent } "" }
?

Either way, if you insert LetterSent as a Merge field, what value is
actually inserted if you have not yet assigned a date in Access? Your
rule may need to match something other than blank for this to work.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

purpleman wrote:
My weekly mail-merge Access database has a field named 'LetterSent' which I
insert the date into after merging.
I add a hundred or so names to the db each week and want to use the Merge
Rule: Skip Record If Field LetterSent Is Not Blank.

But it won't work. It is trying to send to all of the records.
Any clues as to why?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
purpleman purpleman is offline

Thanks for the response PJ.
Maybe I have missed a step in the process.
I simply selected from the Rules sub-menu:
SKIP RECORD IF FIELD LETTERSENT IS NOT BLANK
The field LetterSent is there to be selected. Not sure what should be in the
Compare To box.
If I insert the LetterSent field into the Word doc, the actual date sent
appears for records that have a date sent. Else nothing appears. That is how
it should be.
But if I insert the SKIP RECORD IF Rule above, it still prints the letter
whether there is a date in the field or not.
Am I supposed to insert a field for LetterSent into the Word doc? Seems odd
to do so.

purpleman wrote:
My weekly mail-merge Access database has a field named 'LetterSent' which I
insert the date into after merging.
I add a hundred or so names to the db each week and want to use the Merge
Rule: Skip Record If Field LetterSent Is Not Blank.

But it won't work. It is trying to send to all of the records.
Any clues as to why?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I simply selected from the Rules sub-menu:
SKIP RECORD IF FIELD LETTERSENT IS NOT BLANK

OK, that menu would insert a nested SKIPIF field like this:

{ SKIPIF { MERGEFIELD LETTERSENT } "" }

and that should work, as long as you only use one data source record for
each letter that you produce. But
a. maybe you can have a look at your mail merge main document, press
Alt-F9 and see if that nested field is there. If it is, can you check
that it is exactly as above (spaces may be significant) and that {
MERGEFIELD LETTERSENT | is actually completely blank, i.e. does not
insert anything, not even a space.
b. As an alternative, you could try using Edit Recipient List to
define the filter instead, but I think you will probably see the same
result.

Am I supposed to insert a field for LetterSent into the Word doc?

No, it was just an experiment to see what Word "thinks" Lettersent contains.

Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

purpleman wrote:
My weekly mail-merge Access database has a field named 'LetterSent' which I
insert the date into after merging.
I add a hundred or so names to the db each week and want to use the Merge
Rule: Skip Record If Field LetterSent Is Not Blank.

But it won't work. It is trying to send to all of the records.
Any clues as to why?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
purpleman purpleman is offline

Excellent. It's working.
Don't know what I did wrong before but Alt F9 helps massivley.
Thank you PJ. Very helpful.