keith

Default Problem with Table of Authorities

Hello,
It has been two days now, and unfortunately there is no reply to the
question about a problem with the Table of Authorities in Word. This seems
to suggest that either there is no solution to the problem, or that the
author (me) did not phrase it correctly. I appreciate those who may have
looked at it, and have thought about the question. I suggest that if (as I
suspect) that the Table of Authorities system is unable to create a table
without page numbers, that Microsoft might please consider making it possible
to not-show page numbers. With page numbers as an option, the user could use
the Table of Authorities functionality to meet the requirements of hundreds
of scholarly journals that require American Psychological Association
formatting. If I am am incorrect, and if the Table of Authorities can be
presented without page numbers, then I welcome any suggestions on how to
accomplish the task.
thank you.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables

I think you didn't get an answer because most users are not familiar with
tables of authorities at all (I know I'm not). And the users who *are*
familiar with tables of authorities would be more likely to hang out in
word.formatting.longdocs rather than here (since a table of authorities is
not the sort of table this NG is devoted to). The "Field codes: TOA (Table
of Authorities) field" Help topic does not list a switch to suppress page
numbers, so it's likely that this *isn't* possible.

The only Web article I know of that addresses TOAs is
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/glossary/glossary.html. This article does
offer a workaround for omitting page numbers in the section "Move the page
numbers out of sight."

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

keith

Hello Suzanne,

Thank you very much for your reply. Your comments are very helpful. Indeed
it may be tht the users of this forum are not so familiar with the topic, and
thank you for the link. I have already checked it out, and find it helpful,
although I do hope that the Microsoft people will consider an enhancement in
this area. The work-around works, but isn't as programmatically appropriate
as a program enhancement would be. One real strength of Microsoft products
is that the programmers are so incredibly thorough. I'm a bit surprised this
area has not yet been addressed. Thousands upon thousands of scholarly
papers, high school and college papers, journals, book manuscripts, and
others use the APA style system, so for me it seems only natural to build a
table of authorities that will produce APA style references. I use it all
the time, by embedding the table of authorities refefence into in-text
references. For example, "(Smith, 2005)" would have a hidden TOA field after
the "5" and before the ")". This way, every reference is appropriately
accounted for, and is listed in the reference section. My only problem, of
course, is that APA style requires, the non-use of page numbers. And of
course, there are two other style designs that should also be considered by
Microsoft: Chicago, and MLA. Those style designs also do not use page
references.

So, again, thank you very very much.

Have a great day,

Keith