Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dallas64 Dallas64 is offline

Default Incorrect Page Numbers in a Table of Contents

Last year I created a document in MSWord 2003, using headings to create
chapters. I also used the headings to make a table of contents. Each
chapter restarted with page one, each footer reflected both the chapter & the
page number, and the table of contents reflected all page numbers correctly.
It was beautiful!!

Now I have added something to the end of Chapter 2. The page numbers in the
footers of the document are still beautiful, but when I print the table of
contents, it "updates" the page numbers so that Chapter 3 "continues" from
Chapter 2 with Page 27 rather than restarting with page 1.

When I go back to the document, the page numbers are still correct in the
footers. I also added something to the end of chapter 1, but chapter 2
restarts at page 1 in both the footer and the table of contents, just like it
is supposed to. I did not add anything to Chapter 3, and Chapter 4 restarts
at 1 in both the footer and the table of contents. I'm not quite sure what I
did wrong at the end of chapter 2 that is messing up chapter 3.

What is really strange is that when I try updating the table of contents two
different things happen: If I say "update page numbers only," it restarts
Chapter 3 at page 1. But if I say "update entire table", it goes back to
starting chapter 3 at page 27. I tried de-selecting "update links" under the
Tools, Options, Print tab as a work around, but that doesn't keep it from
"updating" chapter 3 incorrectly in the table of contents.

If it makes any difference, I have also "hidden" some paragraph marks rather
than deleting them, because I need a "this page is intentionally blank" when
there isn't an even number of pages, but I want to keep unused lines there
for later expansions if necessary. But I have also hidden and unhidden lines
several times trying to fix this. And somehow the numbers in the footer are
always correct even though the numbers in the table of contents update wrong.

I'm spooked. Any help please????
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your hidden paragraphs are probably in Heading 1 style (or whatever you're
using for the chapter title). Change them to Normal. Note, however, that you
could get the blank page either with an Odd Page break or by using the field
construction described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm. Using empty
paragraphs for any reason (especially as placeholders) is always risky,
especially if they're hidden.