Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John FM Holstein

Default Getting to the Endnotes / Footnotes setting pane

When I try to get to the settings pane for endnotes and footnotes I follow
Word's instructions (Word tells you "On the Insert menu, point to Reference,
and then click Footnote") but get a new endnote instead of the settings pane.
What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

To display the footnote/endnote pane, you must be in Normal view: On
the View menu, click Normal. Now you should be able to display the
footnote/endnote pane by clicking Footnotes on the *View* menu.

Alternatively, if you are trying to change the properties of footnotes
and/or endnotes, in the Footnotes and Endnotes dialog box, click
Options. In the Note Options dialog box, make the desired changes, and
then click OK to confirm.

Make sure that you click the *Close* button to exit the Footnotes and
Endnotes dialog box; do *not* click OK, since this will make Word
insert an additional note.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John FM Holstein" wrote in message
news
When I try to get to the settings pane for endnotes and footnotes I
follow
Word's instructions (Word tells you "On the Insert menu, point to
Reference,
and then click Footnote") but get a new endnote instead of the
settings pane.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John FM Holstein

It didn't work in ANY view. But yesterday I found the answer to my own
question. On another discussion list one reply to a question said that
somehow the menu command had become a macro named "InsertFootnote," and that
the user should rename or delete this macro. That person said that this is
not a macro that Word supplies. I couldn't rename it, so I deleted it. And
then I was able to get the footnotes/endnotes pane. I suspect that the
application Endnotes inserted that macro.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

InsertFootnote is a built-in Word command which brings up the Footnote
and Endnote dialog box. If a macro sub-routine with the same name as a
built-in command exists, it will replace that command. For more, see:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/...tSavePrint.htm.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I would think it more likely that the Footnote command on the Insert menu
(InsertFootnote, which opens the dialog) had been replaced with the command
InsertFootnoteNow, which inserts a footnote (same as Ctrl+Alt+F).

I've been watching this thread for a while, and I think some of the
confusion may be arising from the fact that the Footnote dialog varies
between versions.

1. In Word 2000 and earlier, the Footnote command on the Insert menu opens
the Footnote and Endnote dialog, which offers the choice of footnote or
endnote and some choices about numbering. The Options... button opens the
Note Options dialog, with tabs for All Footnotes and All Endnotes, which
offer further choices for placement, number format, and so on.

2. In Word 2002 and 2003, the dialog is accessed via Insert | Reference |
Footnote, and all the options are in a single dialog.

Neither of these commands, however, inserts a footnote unless the user
clicks OK. If there are existing footnotes or endnotes, the options can be
changed without inserting a new note by choosing Apply (possibly Close in
earlier versions) instead of OK.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

news When I try to get to the settings pane for endnotes and

footnotes I
follow
Word's instructions (Word tells you "On the Insert menu, point

Reference,
and then click Footnote") but get a new endnote instead of the
settings pane.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I would think it more likely that the Footnote command on the Insert
menu (InsertFootnote, which opens the dialog) had been replaced with
the command InsertFootnoteNow, which inserts a footnote (same as
Ctrl+Alt+F).

Good point. If this is what happened, the command could be restored
via ToolsCustomize. But of course, if an add-in of some sort modifies
the menu bar, it would be necessary to uninstall the add-in first.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

newsgroup so