Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kristi Kristi is offline

Default TOC for Tables. Page numbers are correct, Table numbers are not.

Hi all,

I'm an "intermediate" Word user and I have a problem that is driving me
buggy.

I'm working with a large document where I insert sections that include
headers and tables. I'm doing this by copying and pasting whole sections
from a template that I have, then updating from another document.

My problem is the TOC for the tables. When I update the TOC for the Tables,
the page numbers are correct, but the Table numbers don't update. Here's an
example:

Table 1. Data Model Table Description 7
Table 2. Add Age Range Description 8
Table 3. Add Age Ranges Page Data Model 9
Table 30. Description 10
Table 31. Data Model 11
Table 4. Add Age Range List Description 11
Table 5. Add Age Range List Page Data Model 13

I cut and pasted the section that holds tables 30 and 31. But they don't
renumber when I update. Strange thing is, if a co-worker does the update for
me, the Table numbers are fine.

I'm not having any problems with any other portions of the TOC.

Help?

Kristi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the table captions were inserted using Insert | Reference | Caption, they
use SEQ fields, which don't update automatically. Just updating the TOC
wouldn't update those fields; you'd have to select the whole document and F9
to update the table captions before updating the TOC.

"Kristi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kristi Kristi is offline

Default TOC for Tables. Page numbers are correct, Table numbers are n

Woot! That worked. Thank you.

"Kristi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kristi Kristi is offline

By the way, we're working with some really large documents. How can I set up
the Table in the TOC and in the document so they will update automatically?

Kristi

"Kristi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

There is a macro to update fields at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Field_Macros.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the table captions were inserted using Insert | Reference | Caption,

they
use SEQ fields, which don't update automatically. Just updating the TOC
wouldn't update those fields; you'd have to select the whole document

and F9
to update the table captions before updating the TOC.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.