Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hal Hal is offline

Default Help Suppressing a Footer

I have a multi page document. It has two footers on each page. One is a line
for one to initial; the second footer is the page number. On the last page I
do not need the line for initials but I do need the page numbers.

How do I suppress one footer without supresing the page number?

The instructions I found for doing so were to insert a section break at the
top of the last page and then delete the footer on the last page. But when I
did so, it disappeared throughout the document.

What did I do wrong? How do I accomplish this?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can do this with an IF field. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/H...m#CleverTricks for the
general principle. You want the opposite result, so instead of

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Text you want to appear on the last page" }

you can use

{ IF { PAGE } { NUMPAGES } "Text you want to appear on all but the last
page" }

"Hal" wrote in message
I have a multi page document. It has two footers on each page. One is a
line
for one to initial; the second footer is the page number. On the last page
do not need the line for initials but I do need the page numbers.

How do I suppress one footer without supresing the page number?

The instructions I found for doing so were to insert a section break at
the
top of the last page and then delete the footer on the last page. But when
did so, it disappeared throughout the document.

What did I do wrong? How do I accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hal Hal is offline

Suzanne -

Thank you. But I cannot get that to work. I copies and pasted exactly what
you wrote. I deleted the text between the quotation marks and inserted my
text. All I get is the whole IF filed printed out. What am I doing wrong?

"Hal" wrote in message
I have a multi page document. It has two footers on each page. One is a
line
for one to initial; the second footer is the page number. On the last page
do not need the line for initials but I do need the page numbers.

How do I suppress one footer without supresing the page number?

The instructions I found for doing so were to insert a section break at
the
top of the last page and then delete the footer on the last page. But when
did so, it disappeared throughout the document.

What did I do wrong? How do I accomplish this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hal Hal is offline

It did not work. Here is what I did. What did I do wrong?

I selected the text in the footer that I want on all pages except the last
one.
I used a CTRL X to cut it.
I typed IF PAGE NUMBER TOTAL PAGE NUMBERS ''

(Where PAGE NUMBER is the insert current page number function and TOTAL PAGE
NUMBES is the insert total number of pages function}

I pressed CRTL F9

I inserted the cursor between the quotation marks and inserted the text that
I had cut.

I pressed F9.

All that was left was the current page number.