Jim Bunch

Default Remove/convert nested subtables automatically

Does anyone know of a way to convert all nested subtables in a cell to text
automatically without converting the cell. I've brought some tables into
word from the web, and they have cell with nested tables 3 or 4 deep before
any content is reached. I would like to remove the nests and save the
content in the topmost cell.

As it is now I have to go to the cell and then click on the Table - convert
to text by hand to remove each nest. This takes FOREVER.
Shauna Kelly

Hi Jim

The easiest way is to convert all the "inner" tables to text.

To do that, select the whole of the outer-most cell. Do Table Convert
Table to Text. You can then choose what should separate the text in the
various tables when it's converted.

Sadly, none of the proffered options will absolutely fit your needs, because
what we really need is to have *no* separator. So, choose paragraph marks.
Then, when all your tables are un-nested, do a search and replace to get rid
of the extraneous paragraph marks. At its simplest, search for ^p^p and
replace with ^p. Repeat until they're all gone. Or, for cleverer ways to do
that in one step, see
Cleaning up text pasted from the Web
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eanWebText.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jim Bunch" Jim wrote in message
Does anyone know of a way to convert all nested subtables in a cell to
text
automatically without converting the cell. I've brought some tables into
word from the web, and they have cell with nested tables 3 or 4 deep
before
any content is reached. I would like to remove the nests and save the
content in the topmost cell.

As it is now I have to go to the cell and then click on the Table -
convert
to text by hand to remove each nest. This takes FOREVER.

When I select text it does not automatically delete when I press a Suzanne Microsoft Word Help 3 June 30th 05 02:46 PM
Jump to a bookmark automatically when opening a word document Steve D Microsoft Word Help 1 June 15th 05 06:10 PM
Help with nested tables Anasazi Tables 2 March 18th 05 04:42 AM
Can one item of text be automatically replicated in several spots? Chris Microsoft Word Help 1 January 20th 05 03:28 PM