Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erich Wolodzko

Default Problems with Font when defining heading styles. (Word 2003)

I am trying to define a template for our company's reports using Word 2003
(Windows XP Professional SP2). I am currently stuck trying to define heading
styles in the template.

Following the advise in many tutorials, I have based the Heading 1 style on
"no style" and I have made the styles cascade (Heading 2 based on Heading 1,
etc.). The cascading works correctly for every setting except the font face.
All of the headings were originally hardcoded to use Arial, and I cannot seem
to clear this setting. Thus, when I change the Font Face or style of Heading
1, all of the changes propogate, except the lower headings always stay Arial.
I can change their fonts explicitly, but the fonts will not inherit.

When I am modifying the settings for any of the headings, there doesn't seem
to be a way to clear the font setting so that it inherits the font from the
"based on" style. I am always presented with a dropdown box, and have to
explicitly choose a specific font. It seems like the other settings can be
cleared, and then they start being inherited. Not the font face.

For other styles, I have been able to overcome setting an explicit font by
deleting the style and starting over. A new style starts with no font face
set, the dropdown box is blank, and the font face is inherited. As soon as I
set a font face, however, I cannot figure out how to undo it. Since I cannot
delete the heading styles, I don't know how to clear their font face setting.
So far I have found nothing online that discusses this problem.

Thanks for your time,

Erich Wolodzko

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the styles have been 'hard coded' with a particular font then that font
remains part of the style definition until you change it back to the base
style font, which has the effect of removing it). Changing the base style
does not change hard coded information from paragraph styles.

Erich Wolodzko wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erich Wolodzko Erich Wolodzko is offline

Thank you for your help. I understand now how this works a little better.
Once you manually set a style's font to the same font selected for it's
parent style, then they "match" and the subordinate style begins inheriting
again. The inheritance relationship is not broken until you manually make
their settings differ. It appears that other format settings work the same
way. Thanks again.

Erich Wolodzko wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erich Wolodzko Erich Wolodzko is offline

Thank you for your help. I think I understand how this works a little better
now. When you set a style's font to be the same font of its parent style,
then their fonts match and the subordinate style begins inheriting again.
This inheritance relationship is not broken until you manually cause their
fonts to differ. It appears that the other formatting settings work the same
way. I was searching for some way to explicitly specify "always inherit this
setting", but this is a pretty straightforward way for Word to do it,
considering. Thanks again.