Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eridyard407 Eridyard407 is offline

Default Website Index

How do I create a website index in Word? I am transferring my website to my
ISP personal webpage space because it's free and I won't have to pay
$20/month for hosting. I an FTP'g my content pages and they say it won't
work if I don't have an index. I currently do not have an index. I created
the website on Citymax and they don't say how to do it and there's no
template for it there. The ISP doesn't say how to do it. I've searched MS's
knowledge base, templates and the web and I can't find instructions on how to
do this. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Word is not a tool for doing anything with a website. I suspect they mean
that you need a page named index.htm, but that is just a guess.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Eridyard407" wrote in message
How do I create a website index in Word? I am transferring my website to
my
ISP personal webpage space because it's free and I won't have to pay
$20/month for hosting. I an FTP'g my content pages and they say it won't
work if I don't have an index. I currently do not have an index. I
created
the website on Citymax and they don't say how to do it and there's no
template for it there. The ISP doesn't say how to do it. I've searched
MS's
knowledge base, templates and the web and I can't find instructions on how
do this. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think what Citymax means is that your home page has to be named index.htm
or index.html.

And I have to tell you, Word can be used to create websites but that's like
using a shoe for a hammer. Even Publisher does a better job and I don't
recommend that either. Get a real web designing program and use that.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Eridyard407" wrote in message
How do I create a website index in Word? I am transferring my website to
my
ISP personal webpage space because it's free and I won't have to pay
$20/month for hosting. I an FTP'g my content pages and they say it won't
work if I don't have an index. I currently do not have an index. I
created
the website on Citymax and they don't say how to do it and there's no
template for it there. The ISP doesn't say how to do it. I've searched
MS's
knowledge base, templates and the web and I can't find instructions on how
do this. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eridyard407 Eridyard407 is offline

I tried renaming my homepage to index and it didn't work. There's got to be
a way in Word to make this work.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you need to get back with your web host and *make* them explain what
they want in terms you understand. There are too many free services out
there for you to be wasting your time with one that won't help you.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eridyard407 Eridyard407 is offline

I COMPLETELY understand what they want. I spoke with them on the phone
yesterday. They said they need an index. If I can't do it myself then I
need to do one in FrontPage or some other program, but they need an index.
And I know it can be done in Word, I just don't know how to do it. I really
don't want to have to go to the expense of buying another program if I don't
have to. If there's a free program out there, then I'll go with that. I
don't want to sound harsh, but my money is going out to more than enough
hands as it is. By the time I end up paying my bills, paying for gas and
buying food every month, I have precious little left over. In fact, I
usually have nothing left over. Hence my need to do this without shelling
out more money. Please allow me to now stop off the soapbox. Thanks.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

What they mean by an Index is very different from what Word means by an
Index. Your posts tell me that you do not COMPLETELY or even barely
understand what they mean although you have heard what they have told you. I
wish you luck.
--

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Charles said, you do NOT understand what they have told you. If anyone
gave you the idea that you could create the "index" in FrontPage, then it
clearly is not what Word means by an index. Depending on the type of hosting
software used on the server, the home page of your site must be named either
"index" or another default name. Here's how Jim Buyens explains it in
"Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out":

"If your Web site doesn't yet contain a home page, the solution is simple.
Click the New Page button on the Standard toolbar. FrontPage creates a blank
home page and places it at the top of your Navigation view hierarchy. Its
file name is index.htm in a disk-based Web site or the Web server's default
page name on a server-based Web site."

Your Web host has clearly told you that your home page must be named
index.htm. This means that whatever you are currently using as your home
page must be renamed. Visitors to your Web site will not necessarily see
this as the page name: they'll just see it as the top page of your Web site.
For example, if you go to my site at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/,
that URL is what you'll see in your browser, but the name of that page (as
created in FrontPage) is http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/index.htm.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

I think what Citymax means is that your home page has to be named
index.htm
or index.html.

And I have to tell you, Word can be used to create websites but

that's
like
using a shoe for a hammer. Even Publisher does a better job and I

don't
recommend that either. Get a real web designing program and use that.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Eridyard407" wrote in

message
How do I create a website index in Word? I am transferring my

website
my
ISP personal webpage space because it's free and I won't have to

pay
$20/month for hosting. I an FTP'g my content pages and they say it
won't
work if I don't have an index. I currently do not have an index.

created
the website on Citymax and they don't say how to do it and there's

no
template for it there. The ISP doesn't say how to do it. I've
searched
MS's
knowledge base, templates and the web and I can't find instructions

on
how
do this. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis Chuck Davis is offline

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

This program is great for web sites Nvu http://www.nvu.com/index.php

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eridyard407 Eridyard407 is offline

"Step 4: View Your Page On The Internet

To access your web site, in the address bar of your browser, enter:

www.frontiernet.net/~username/ (where 'username' is the first part of
your email address before the '@' symbol)

Note: The method described above will allow you to reach your web page if
you have named your initial page "index.html". If you have not named your
initial page "index.html", then you'll need to add a bit more to the web site
address to which you are browsing, to be able to view your web page. For
example, if you named your web page "sunrise.html", then to view the page,
you'd need to browse to http://www.frontiernet.net/~username/sunrise.html
(again, where 'username' is the first part of your email address before the
'@' symbol)."

I tried entering the name of my initial page and it just didn't work.

When I called Technical Support is when they told me I needed to create an
index using FrontPage. I DO understand that a Website Index is different
from an Index you can create in Word. I was hoping that Word had a way to
create a Website Index. Since you can write and create webpages in Word, I
had high expectations of Word's capabilities and was hopeful it could be done
in Word.

Thanks.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try changing the name of the page from sunrise.html to index.html and see
what happens.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Eridyard,

When using File=Save as in Word, choose
'web page-filtered' (after saving a master copy as a .doc file).

Name the 'web page' as "index.html" (be sure to put it in quotes and that it's in all lower case, then upload it to your website.
(If your ISP has FrontPage Server Extensions, you should be able to save from Word directly to your website with the "index.html" as
your primary page. Some web servers will not 'see' the page if the name has upper case letters.

======
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

?B?RXJpZHlhcmQ0MDc=?=
wrote in :

How do I create a website index in Word? I am transferring my website
to my ISP personal webpage space because it's free and I won't have to
pay $20/month for hosting. I an FTP'g my content pages and they say
it won't work if I don't have an index. I currently do not have an
index. I created the website on Citymax and they don't say how to do
it and there's no template for it there. The ISP doesn't say how to
do it. I've searched MS's knowledge base, templates and the web and I
can't find instructions on how to do this. Thanks!

As many others have advised you?
1) Word is not the most efficent tool for creating web pages.
2) the index your host/service provider is referring to is in FACT index.
htm or html

If you've been paying $20 monthly for a small website (less than 50meg in
files and images) than you've been getting robbed!!!

There are many hosts that offer domain name hosting for a lttle as a few
dollard monthly.
The annual registration for your domain name may be reduced by more than
half by using somebody other than Network Solutions. (I use DirectNic,
there are others. DO NOT use somebody who offers free domain name
registration).

Internet providers who offer free websites do NOT offer the uses of
front page extesnions, as a result, using the publish option in either
Word of FP will not work. In addition there are a host of other options
that paid hosts provide for free that free hosts will not.
Free hosts also have restrictions on types of files and/or what exactly
the pages may contain (one former host of my did not allow the listing of
addresses or telephone numbers as that was deemed advertsing and against
their TOS.

The istructions you provided in one of your later responses (as copied
from your host) provides clear instructions. You just don't understand
them. Nor, is your host/internet provider going to be willing to assist
you when they are providing a free website.

Best suggestion is to google up some searches and learn the procedures
and methods for creating and operating a website.