Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelagio Pamelagio is offline

Default Keep with next not working

Now that I understand a little better how to use "keep with next" to keep a
paragraph heading with the paragraph that follows, I've got a new problem.
Even though I highlight only the heading and the first two lines of a long
paragraph following and specify "keep with next," the heading and the entire
paragraph move to the next page, leaving me with half a blank page before it.
How do I get the heading and only a maximum of two lines to "keep with next?"
I don't seem to be having this problem with other headings and long
paragraphs.
--
Thanks,
Pam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would select "Keep lines together" and "Keep with next" for the
paragraph heading, and I would select "Widow/orphan control" for the
paragraph that follows.

Pamelagio wrote:
Now that I understand a little better how to use "keep with next" to keep a
paragraph heading with the paragraph that follows, I've got a new problem.
Even though I highlight only the heading and the first two lines of a long
paragraph following and specify "keep with next," the heading and the entire
paragraph move to the next page, leaving me with half a blank page before it.
How do I get the heading and only a maximum of two lines to "keep with next?"
I don't seem to be having this problem with other headings and long
paragraphs.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

'Keep with next' applies to the entire paragraph. You meant to apply it to
the heading, to require the heading to stay with (some of) the following
paragraph. But by selecting some of the following paragraph also, you
specified that the text paragraph itself has to stay with whatever follows
(ie the third paragraph).

Select the text paragraph and clear 'keep with next'.

"Pamelagio" wrote in message
Now that I understand a little better how to use "keep with next" to keep
paragraph heading with the paragraph that follows, I've got a new problem.
Even though I highlight only the heading and the first two lines of a long
paragraph following and specify "keep with next," the heading and the
entire
paragraph move to the next page, leaving me with half a blank page before
it.
How do I get the heading and only a maximum of two lines to "keep with
next?"
I don't seem to be having this problem with other headings and long
paragraphs.
--
Thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Also, note that "Keep with next" may imply "Keep lines together."
See the following thread:

Illogical behavior of "Keep with next" over page breaks
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6917251539d550

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamelagio" wrote in message
Now that I understand a little better how to use "keep with next" to

keep a
paragraph heading with the paragraph that follows, I've got a new

problem.
Even though I highlight only the heading and the first two lines of

a long
paragraph following and specify "keep with next," the heading and

the entire
paragraph move to the next page, leaving me with half a blank page

before it.
How do I get the heading and only a maximum of two lines to "keep

with next?"
I don't seem to be having this problem with other headings and long
paragraphs.
--
Thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelagio Pamelagio is offline

Thank you all! It seems to accomplish what I need when I highlight the
heading and blank line below it and mark it as "keep with next" and "keep
lines together," while having the whole document widow/orphan protected.
--
Thanks,
Pam

"Pamelagio" wrote in message
Now that I understand a little better how to use "keep with next" to

keep a
paragraph heading with the paragraph that follows, I've got a new

problem.
Even though I highlight only the heading and the first two lines of

a long
paragraph following and specify "keep with next," the heading and

the entire
paragraph move to the next page, leaving me with half a blank page

before it.
How do I get the heading and only a maximum of two lines to "keep

with next?"
I don't seem to be having this problem with other headings and long
paragraphs.
--
Thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just be aware that in doing so you're formatting both paragraphs this way;
it isn't like using Block Protect in Word Perfect to keep just the heading
and the first line of the following paragraph together. "Keep lines
together" affects the entire paragraph, and "Keep with next" will keep the
second paragraph with the one following it, which may not always be what you
want.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes, this one really bugs me. I can understand that it's easier to code

and
logical in machine terms, but it's not logical in human terms.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Pamelagio" wrote in message
Now that I understand a little better how to use "keep with next" to
keep a
paragraph heading with the paragraph that follows, I've got a new
problem.
Even though I highlight only the heading and the first two lines of
a long
paragraph following and specify "keep with next," the heading and
the entire
paragraph move to the next page, leaving me with half a blank page
before it.
How do I get the heading and only a maximum of two lines to "keep
with next?"
I don't seem to be having this problem with other headings and long
paragraphs.
--
Thanks,
Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Pam,
Also note that the "blank line," if it's an empty paragraph mark, is
unnecessary. Use Spacing After or Spacing Before instead. (Of course,
this doesn't affect the underlying issue with "Keep with next.")

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamelagio" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I find it annoying too. Whether it is easy to code really isn't (or
shouldn't be) relevant!