Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joanne Joanne is offline

Default ~acr temp files

Hello,
We have a user whose computer crashed today because the machine wrote about
100 temp files to the C:\windows\temp directory. When I open these files,
they are clearly some kind of Word files, because in with the binary code are
words like "Space after" and "indent". Does anyone know why Word would
generate such a huge amount of temp files?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word creates an assortment of files in the document, template and startup
folders - at the very least a lock file for each open document and used
template. These files should be deleted when the document (or Word) is
closed. If the PC is not shut down correctly or Windows crashes these files
are left behind.

It is not unknown for some users to try and open huge numbers of documents,
which I suspect is what may have happened here. The user may have attempted
to open a folder full of files by mistake. However no you have them, they
are of no use to you and should be deleted -
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm