Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tflapp tflapp is offline

Default can't receive answers you post!

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files. someone posted a
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it said "done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my question. what
gives???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Hope you see this one...

You won't see them in Word's File Open and Save dialogs if you have the file
type set to All Word Documents rather than All Files. I don't think you can
hide them in Windows Explorer (except perhaps by hiding Hidden and System
files, though I think that affects just the temp files).

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files. someone posted a
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it said "done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my question. what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Suzanne - did you change your name to Dean H?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files. someone posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my question. what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Sorry, this is DeanH, I forgot to top'n'tail the copy of Suzanne's message
with the explanation so hopefully the OP will see this message this time.
Apologies for any offence caused.
DeanH

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files. someone posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my question. what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I thought maybe Suzanne had logged in on someone else's computer. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files. someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my question.
what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

If only that were the case! :-)
Considering how much I have gleaned from Ms Barnhill's gems over the years,
just imagine what can be learnt from a personal appearance!
Alas, being "across the pond", the chances are as likely as everyone knowing
what the Pilcrow represents! g
All the best
DeanH
ps. Also thanks for your 'modest' contribution as well.

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files. someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my question.
what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I would consider myself blessed if I could learn a fraction of Suzanne knows
about Word. She's my idol. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files. someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my question.
what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Our last full day there was Sunday. It was *glorious*--a shame we spent so
much of it inside: at church, in the car, in the State Apartments at Windsor
Castle. But we did enjoy walking around Windsor, across the footbridge to
Eton, etc., and got lots of good pictures. It was balmy when we got in the
car at 5:30 Monday morning to leave for Gatwick.

We also had a very nice day in Dover last Thursday but regrettably spent an
hour or so of the best of it underground, in the Secret Wartime Tunnels.
Again, though, the photos taken outside had blue sky and fluffy
clouds--quite a contrast to our gloomy photos of Trafalgar Square (and
London generally) the previous Saturday and everything in York, Edinburgh,
Oxford, etc. At least it wasn't *actually* raining when we were climbing up
to Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. The absolute worst was at Stonehenge--biting
cold, pelting rain, and gale-force winds--which did nothing to allay our
general disappointment over Stonehenge itself (apparently a typical tourist
reaction, though we would doubtless have been more charitably inclined on a
milder summer day).

It is steamy here now, making us rather nostalgic about the bracing weather
we left behind.

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files.
someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it
said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my
question.
what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I actually work and live nearly in the shadow of Windsor Castle!
I understand about Stonehenge, I took the chilkdren there last year and they
were totally under-impressed, shame. I'll take them again when they are
older. The boys do enjoy going round Windsor Castle though. My little girl is
still too young really to know what is going on. I worked in Edinburgh for
two years some time back and have great memories, lovely city.
Glad you had a good time.
All the best
DeanH

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files.
someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it
said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my
question.
what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although the stones at Stonehenge are still impressive (and I wouldn't want
to detract from the amazing feat of bringing them there and levering them
into position), they are just a lot smaller than expected, and there is no
way for the ordinary tourist to capture that fact in a photo because you're
not allowed to get close enough to show a human being next to one of the
stones for scale. As we drove up, Barney said, "Somehow I'd always imagined
them bigger," and Virginia (our daughter) said, "Yes, when we brought Sadie
[college friend], she said, 'If I'd known this was all it was, I wouldn't
have bothered to come.'" Barney did do the entire tour, listening to every
bit of the audio guide, and took numerous photos, despite the wind and rain.
The wind was so fierce that umbrellas were useless, as they kept turning
inside-out, and even when they didn't, the buffeting was so loud that one
couldn't hear the audio guide over the noise. Virginia and Fionn immediately
retreated to the car to eat their sandwiches; I stuck it out a little
longer, taking a few damp photos, and then retreated to the gift shop, where
it was warm and dry.

At Windsor, because the queen was in residence, there were some rooms we
didn't see, and St. George's Chapel was closed to tourists because it was
Sunday, but we did attend evensong (though it turned out to be "Evening
Prayers with Hymns," without a choir, which was a bit of a trial), so we saw
some of the interior. As a bonus, when we came out, the guard was changing
(which supposedly doesn't happen on Sundays, but I guess it just doesn't
happen while the castle is open to tourists), so that was fun.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I thought maybe Suzanne had logged in on someone else's computer.
:-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files.
someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it
said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my
question.
what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

When I was young, my family went to Stonehenge and we were able to walk round
them and touch them which I have always remembered. I must admit the
restriction is disappointing as you do seem to be so far away from them to
really get the feeling of them. Recently my brother had a helicopter trip
over the area, he said that was amazing to get overall topology and you get
the real sense of the stone's importance in the landscape, especially as my
brother said that you can just make out the River Severn where the Blue
Stones had to cross to come from Wales.
I understand that the audio guide is very instructive and well worth a go,
but when I have three little ones to herd, it would have been a waste of time
;-)
My wife often goes to St George Chapel for services with the children and
thoroughly enjoys the atmosphere.
The changing of the guard is a regular occurance, but it can vary with the
amount of flair it is carried out with depending on the Sergeant on duty! :-)

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files.
someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and it
said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my
question.
what
gives???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can understand the reasons for keeping tourists well away from the stones
(they'd eventually be rubbed into nubs, and I think they probably already
bear quite a few graffiti), but it does make for difficulty in giving a
sense of their size. Given that we hadn't had a chance to fully appreciate
them, we bought the guidebook (as we did at most of the places we visited),
but I haven't had a chance to read it yet (though I have perused the ones
from Dover Castle, Westminster Abbey, Edinburgh Castle, etc.).

According to our guidebooks, the Changing of the Guard at Windsor happens at
11 AM weekdays. I suspect it probably takes place at 6 PM every day as well,
but since the place closes at 5:15 (at least this time of year), tourists
wouldn't see it. We were amused by this particular event because the person
who appeared to be in charge (the sergeant, I guess) was inspecting all the
guards, and one of them had a bearskin that was a little too big and was
threatening to fall off. He never did get it straight enough to satisfy the
sergeant. There were quite a few tourists around (all those who had been in
the Chapel, I guess), so I suspect they put on a bit of a show.

"tflapp" wrote:

i asked a question before about how to hide backup files.
someone
posted
reply but when i went to open it, i got a blank page (and
it
said
"done").
another blank pagea when i clicked on trying to reask my
question.
what
gives???

Word Counts with different answers Gareth Edwards Microsoft Word Help 2 January 31st 06 03:15 PM
REGARDING ANSWERS Khawar Ahmad Microsoft Word Help 1 July 8th 05 05:11 PM
Answers Dodger Jim Page Layout 2 June 8th 05 08:52 PM
How do I keep questions and answers together on the same page peggelee Page Layout 2 April 8th 05 03:51 PM
I want to print staped post office post cards butlerdh Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 05 02:12 AM