Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Default Forcing text to bottom of page

Is it possible to create white space and force text to sit at the bottom of
the current page?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Forcing text to bottom of page

Hi Bill,

Yes, it is possible to create white space and force text to sit at the bottom of the current page in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Place your cursor where you want the text to be forced to the bottom of the page.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Shapes" and select the rectangle shape.
  4. Draw a rectangle shape at the bottom of the page where you want the text to be forced to.
  5. Right-click on the rectangle and select "Format Shape".
  6. In the "Format Shape" pane, click on "Text Box" and select "Resize shape to fit text".
  7. Click "Close" to close the "Format Shape" pane.
  8. Type your text inside the rectangle shape.

This should force your text to sit at the bottom of the current page. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I'd use a large table with one row/one column and then set up the table
settings for that. But there may be another way to do it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Is it possible to create white space and force text to sit at the bottom
of the current page?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Before the text, insert the following field

{ ADVANCE \y ###pt }¶
This is the text that you want at the bottom of the page

whe

### is the distance in points that you want the text to be located from the
top of the page,
¶ is a carriage return

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Is it possible to create white space and force text to sit at the bottom
of the current page?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The advantage of the Advance field approach is that it can be set up in a
one page template and will move to the bottom of the final page in the
document as the document expands from one page to the next.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can put the text in a text box or frame with position set to "Bottom
Relative to Margin."

so
all may benefit.

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Is it possible to create white space and force text to sit at the bottom

of
the current page?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Just to complete the list of possibilities what about using the document
footer?
or
Page setup layout vertical alignment bottom?

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
Is it possible to create white space and force text to sit at the
bottom of the current page?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think I misunderstood the Advance field, which seemed to me to be no
different from Space Before. But I see now that instead of inserting a
specific amount of space above the text, the \y switch does in fact position
it relative to the page.

The advantage of the Advance field approach is that it can be set up in a
one page template and will move to the bottom of the final page in the
document as the document expands from one page to the next.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can put the text in a text box or frame with position set to "Bottom
Relative to Margin."

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Is it possible to create white space and force text to sit at the

bottom
of
the current page?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Thanks for all your advice.

What I am trying to achieve is to force text (it's actually a copyright
notice) to sit at the bottom of a page irrespective of the amount of and
changes to the foregoing text. The ADVANCE field seems to be the right way
to go. However, I can't seem to make it work either by offsetting
vertically or the /y switch.

I would greatly appreciate a step-by step guide.

Thanks very much.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

I would use a conditional field in the footer for this eg

{IF {Page} = {Numpages} "Put your copyright notice here"}
Insert the field boundaries {} with Ctrl + F9

The copyright information will always be on the bottom of the last page.

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
Thanks for all your advice.

What I am trying to achieve is to force text (it's actually a
copyright notice) to sit at the bottom of a page irrespective of the
amount of and changes to the foregoing text. The ADVANCE field seems
to be the right way to go. However, I can't seem to make it work
either by offsetting vertically or the /y switch.

I would greatly appreciate a step-by step guide.

Thanks very much.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Thanks for all your responses but I'm afraid that I still haven't resolved
this issue.

Using an ADVANCE field is dependent on knowing the distance between the last
text and the bottom of the page. I can't seem to get this to work but
anyway this distance changes as the document is edited.

I can put text on a text box but have been unable to set it at the bottom of
a page.

It is not practical to use a footer as a footer is already being used..

Using Page setuplayoutvertical alignmentbottom isn't practical as
this forces all the text to the bottom of the page.

At the moment I have (when viewed with 'Show all') is something like -
Text
Text
CR
CR (until the bottom of the page is reached)
Text at bottom of page
Any editing of the text also requires the text at the bottom of the page to
be repositioned.

What I am trying to achieve (when viewed with 'Show all') is something
like -
Text
Text
Text at bottom of page
Text required at the bottom of the page sinks to that position without
further editing.

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Is it possible to create white space and force text to sit at the bottom
of the current page?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you use the \y switch with the Advance field, it is NOT dependent on
knowing the distance between the last text and the bottom of the page as it
moves the line of text to the vertical position specified by the number of
points relative to the page, NOT relative to the text.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Thanks Doug. The ADVANCE field needs a bit of fiddling to understand but
I've got it to work!!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway