Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
T Maddox T Maddox is offline

Default Word 2007 set language issue

Hi,

I'm co-writing a document in Word 2007 with someone who's in Canada
and who has his language set to English Canada, oddly enough. We've
agreed to use U.S. spelling. However, when I try to reset the language
in a doc he's created to English U.S., it doesn't work. I've tried
selecting all text, some text, language remains set to Canada.

I'm on Vista, God help me (especially with Word, which routinely
crashes and restarts on exit), and my language is set to U.S. in the
OS.

Anyone got another angle of attack?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

How are you setting the language? Setting it at the character level should
work: select the text and use Review tab | Set Language. That being said,
also note that recent versions of Word are rather unpredictable with
language formatting; see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"T Maddox" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm co-writing a document in Word 2007 with someone who's in Canada
and who has his language set to English Canada, oddly enough. We've
agreed to use U.S. spelling. However, when I try to reset the language
in a doc he's created to English U.S., it doesn't work. I've tried
selecting all text, some text, language remains set to Canada.

I'm on Vista, God help me (especially with Word, which routinely
crashes and restarts on exit), and my language is set to U.S. in the
OS.

Anyone got another angle of attack?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
T Maddox T Maddox is offline

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I'm setting the language at the character level
as you describe it. However, the link you give explains that the
language may still revert to the language the doc was created in.
Which is my problem.

I am stunned that this problem has existed for several versions of
Word. However, I'm also stunned that Word behaves so erratically
running under Vista. Working with others professionally, I am chained
to Word. If I weren't, I'd have given up on it some time ago. Programs
that are simply too complex to perform the most basic functions should
be rewritten from scratch, abandoned, or ... I have no idea.

Sorry for the minor rant.

Tom

"T Maddox" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm co-writing a document in Word 2007 with someone who's in Canada
and who has hislanguagesetto English Canada, oddly enough. We've
agreed to use U.S. spelling. However, when I try to reset thelanguage
in a doc he's created to English U.S., it doesn't work. I've tried
selecting all text, some text,languageremainssetto Canada.

I'm on Vista, God help me (especially with Word, which routinely
crashes and restarts on exit), and mylanguageissetto U.S. in the
OS.

Anyone got another angle of attack?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi T,

However, I'm also stunned that Word behaves so erratically
running under Vista.

In what way "erratically". I've been working with the same
software combination for over a year (even wrote an entire
book!) and have had absolutely no problems that I'd term
"erratic".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun
17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Thanks for the help. I'm setting the language at the character level
as you describe it. However, the link you give explains that the
language may still revert to the language the doc was created in.
Which is my problem.

Have you tried recreating the file as explained in the end of the article at