Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JH-LKY JH-LKY is offline

Default Merged Attachment, Missing Message

The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts, finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from Outlook, it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created a new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you referring to article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

Have you actually executed the merge to a new document before running the
macro.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"JH-LKY" wrote in message
The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts, finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from Outlook,
it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created a
new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an
empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JH-LKY JH-LKY is offline

Doug,
Sorry for my lack of etiquette; I'm a novice and didn't realize my mesg
would post on the other guy's.

Yes, I am referring to that article and yes, I actually executed a merge on
a new document (call it A) resulting in a "letter" to each recipient on the
list (NOT the directory doc, mind you). Then, I executed the macro from the
merged doc A. The email went out with the attachment beautifully - except
without doc A text.

Any ideas?

"JH-LKY" wrote in message
The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts, finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from Outlook,
it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created a
new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an
empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JH-LKY JH-LKY is offline

Forgive me if I have overstepped but I sent doc A to your email address
yesterday p.m. I f I should have responded differently, please instruct.
Otherwise - were you able to pin down my error(s)?
Thanks again!

"JH-LKY" wrote in message
The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts,
finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from
Outlook,
it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created a
new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an
empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Paul M Paul M is offline

Default Compile Error: User-defined type not defined

When I try to follow the instructions for enabling email merging with an
attachment, I get "Compile Error: User-defined type not defined" after trying
to run the macro. Can anyone help? I am using Outlook 2003, Word 2003 (Office
2003) on a WinXP machine.

Here's what I did, per the instructions at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ntsContent.htm

- I downloaded and executed the Express ClickYes utility for Outlook.
- I open both Outlook and Word 2003
- In Word, I created a Directory file per the instructions, saved and closed
it.
- In Word, I created and saved the macro from the above website and called
it "Mail_Merge_With_Attachment". I saved and closed out of Visual Basic (or
whatever window the Create Macro feature in Word opens.
- I then created a mail merge document, selected the data to merge (an Excel
file with company names, first names, etc).
- I completed the merge, going through the last step and actually merging
(that is, I select the "Merge - Electronic Mail" option.
- I try to run the macro while in Word and get the Compile error noted above.

Any help is appreciated! - Paul M.

"JH-LKY" wrote:

The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts, finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from Outlook, it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created a new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When you have the Visual Basic editor open, click Tools|References, locate
Microsoft Outlook nn.0 Object Library (e.g. Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object
Library) and check it. Then save everything and try again.

Peter Jamieson

"JH-LKY" wrote:

The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts, finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from Outlook,
it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created a
new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an
empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gail Gail is offline

Hi
Apologies for barging in. I have the same problem and have followed your
advice, but still get the same error message. Can anyone help?
--
GVP

"JH-LKY" wrote:

The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts, finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from Outlook,
it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created a
new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an
empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If it is the "Compile Error: User-defined type not defined" error message
that you are getting, all that I can suggest is that you go back and make
sure that the necessary reference to the Microsoft Outlook nn.0 Object
Library had been made.

--

"JH-LKY" wrote:

The magic is almost working for me. I have read multiple posts,
finally
muddled through creating a macro and I can send to my list from
Outlook,
it
looks like a one-to-one email, and there is a PDF attachment. Except,
somewhere I've missed how to make my message show up. I have created
new
Word doc, merged it, and then executed the macro - but I still get an
empty
message with the attachment. What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Make sure that you are making the reference within the correct Word
project - e.g. make sure the macro is open and you have clicked somewhere in
its text before making the reference. (There might be more to it than that,
but that's where I would start).

Peter Jamieson