Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
2003_to_2007_or_bust 2003_to_2007_or_bust is offline

Default Number Misery from 2003 to 2007

As I work on 2003-created documents, the numbering goes haywire in 2007.
Examples: changes from alpha to numeric, if I "undo" or "reject change" the
new alpha+number "gray out" and I can't select, reject, or click on the
Numbers icon to turn numbers off. Generally I am able to backspace over it,
but sometimes have to delete the sentence to re-type.

About to lose the last of my graying hair here! Do I just need to re-type
numbered 2003 text.

Any HELP would be SO appreciated!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Create numbering by using styles; that way, it should work properly. For
Word 2003, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

In Word 2007, you can do the following to create numbering: On the Home tab,
click Multilevel List, and then click Define New Multilevel List. You are
presented with a dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List
of Word 97-2003.

To edit a multilevel list in Word 2007 (as well as most lists created in
older versions of the program), place the insertion point in the first level
1 paragraph (for heading numbering, this means the first Heading 1 paragraph
of the document), and click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New
Multilevel List.

If you choose to create a list style instead, you can edit it the way you
edit any style (the easiest way will be via the Manage Styles dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP