Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RoxSn RoxSn is offline

Default Pagination in 2003 vs. 2007

Our department recently upgraded to Office 2007 but most of the company and
our clients are still using Office 2003, so we have to be sure our documents
are the same in both versions. We have recently run across a problem while
working with tracked changes. The same file viewed in 2003 and 2007 will
paginate differently. One one page, where a footnote was deleted, a line is
thrown onto the next page in 2003 but stays with the previous page in 2007.
This is in Final view; the client wants to see the Word file with tracked
changes and they will be looking at it in 2003. Viewing the file in 2007, we
have no idea the client is going to see something different than what we are
seeing. Is there any way to "see" the same thing as 2003? We are working in
compatibility mode and saving "down" with Compatibility options set for Word
2002 in both documents. This could be very problematic if we're not able to
"see" what our clients are seeing because we have some government clients who
are very particular about what they want. And we can't take the time to go to
another computer in another location to view every document before we send it
out.

The previous problem appears to be mostly on pages with deleted footnotes,
though the pages fit fine while viewing the changes and the lines do not
bounce to the next page (with a large amount of white space).

There is also another place where a whole section is deleted, including a
landscape table, and the page after the last section break where the section
is deleted is a blank page... nothing there, no code or returns, but perhaps
space taken up by the "hidden" tracked changes that shows as white space in
2003 but 2007 correctly gets rid of the white space?

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on and how we can see in 2007
what our client sees in 2003 for files with tracked changes (especially in
"Final" view)?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi RoxSn,

While some folks at MS say a difference in printer drivers that Word is attached to shouldn't make much difference these days
that can make a difference. Sending along a PDF file of the 'final' view using Word 2007's feature may be helpful. Unlike Word,
which is not page layout based, PDF files are.

If you're using track changes and balloons, check, for one thing the default width of the balloon that's set for track changes.

Check that fonts you're using are common ones available in both Word 2003 and Word 2007. Font substitution can cause changes as
well.

Also in Word Advance options (Alt, F, I, A) turn on the setting in Advanced=Display for
[x] Optimize character positioning for layout rather than readability
to see if that helps.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP