Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WayneL WayneL is offline

Default Inserting references without it coming up with a capital letter.

Hi

I posted a question on another board and got a suitable responce cencerning
capital letter infront of inserted references from captions (see below). Is
there any plan in Word 2007 to add this function, as I have spent the past 10
years fighting with Word in this area?

Cheers

WayneL

Hi

Does anyone have a solution for inserting references (i.e. from
captions) without it coming up with a capital letter in the front?

From example; if I have a chart title Figure 1, then when inserting it

as a caption it need to be a capital letter. However, when inserting
into text then it may not need to be a capital letter. Yes I can
change it to a lower case but when I update the fields or reload the
doc it turns back to a capital letter.

In summery, how to I maintain the control of choosing a lower or
uppercase character at the beginning of a caption reference in text but
also maintain it format after field updated and also allow the caption
to be in capital all the time?

Cheers

Wayne

Reply »

From: Stefan Blom - view profile
Date: Mon, Sep 25 2006 11:10 am
Email: "Stefan Blom"
Groups: microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Rating: (1 user)
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. To each REF field (which are used
for cross-references), add \* lower. For example: Change
{ REF _Ref146948309 } to { REF _Ref146948309 \* lower \h }. When you
are done, make sure to select the whole document and then press F9 to
update fields. Press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes.

You can use find and replace to automate this: First, type \* lower
in a document and then cut it to the clipboard. Make sure that field
codes are displayed, and then, on the Edit menu, click Replace. In the
Find and Replace dialog box, click More to display all options. Check
the "Use wildcards" option. In the "Find what" box, type REF *. In
the "Replace with" box, type ^&^c. Then click Replace All.

Note, however, that the find and replace described above will add
\* lower to ANY cross-reference field, not just to figure captions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you want to change the case of any reproduced bookmarked text you use a
formatting switch. A cross reference field to a caption is no different.
There's no need to change this behaviour for Word 2007.
Thus { REF _Ref147122698 \h \*lower } might give figure 1

WayneL wrote:
Hi

I posted a question on another board and got a suitable responce
cencerning capital letter infront of inserted references from
captions (see below). Is there any plan in Word 2007 to add this
function, as I have spent the past 10 years fighting with Word in
this area?

Cheers

WayneL

Hi

Does anyone have a solution for inserting references (i.e. from
captions) without it coming up with a capital letter in the front?

From example; if I have a chart title Figure 1, then when inserting
it

as a caption it need to be a capital letter. However, when inserting
into text then it may not need to be a capital letter. Yes I can
change it to a lower case but when I update the fields or reload the
doc it turns back to a capital letter.

In summery, how to I maintain the control of choosing a lower or
uppercase character at the beginning of a caption reference in text
but
also maintain it format after field updated and also allow the caption
to be in capital all the time?

Cheers

Wayne

Reply »

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WayneL WayneL is offline

Default Inserting references without it coming up with a capital lette

Sorry I think you misunderstand me.

I mean, is there any plans for this to be automated in Word 2007?

Wayne

WayneL wrote:
Hi

I posted a question on another board and got a suitable responce
cencerning capital letter infront of inserted references from
captions (see below). Is there any plan in Word 2007 to add this
function, as I have spent the past 10 years fighting with Word in
this area?

Cheers

WayneL

Hi

Does anyone have a solution for inserting references (i.e. from
captions) without it coming up with a capital letter in the front?

From example; if I have a chart title Figure 1, then when inserting
it

From: Stefan Blom - view profile
Date: Mon, Sep 25 2006 11:10 am
Email: "Stefan Blom"
Groups: microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Rating: (1 user)
show options
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message |