Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kandy1216 kandy1216 is offline

Default Can you make changes to quick access toolbar in normal template

I want to have my additions to the quick access toolbar show up in each
document I open as I have added several things to it. I have tried to save
the document as Normal2.dotm, then deleted Normal.dotm and renamed
Normal2.dotm to Normal.dotm, but this didn't work.

Can it be done?

Thanks,
Kandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Kandy,

The Quick Access Toolbar for Word is stored in an XML file named
Word.QAT.

It is possible to also have QAT entries that are tied to a specific template or a specific document.

When you're in Word's customization dialog (Alt, T, O, C)
Office Button=Word Options=Customization
on the top right of that dialog
"Customize Quick Access Toolbar)
choose where you want the customizations you're adding to be stored.

The 'for all documents (default)' setting is the Word.QAT file.
If you have a template or document open for editing (i.e. you'd need to use File=Open=Trusted Templates to open Normal.dotm (if
that's what you want to modify) you can then select the open item from the drop down in the customization dialog.

============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kandy1216 kandy1216 is offline

Default Can you make changes to quick access toolbar in normal templat

Bob,

Have you actually done this? I tried to open normal.dotm, but it said it
was read only so I don't know how to change the QAT on the template.

I also did the other thing you suggested. Opened up a blank Word document,
went into the customization dialog and added the things to the QAT, then made
sure it was to go to all documents, and saved it as Doc1. However, after
logging off and then back on, the changes to the QAT were not there.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! The changes show up as long as I don't
log off.

Thanks for any help,
Kandy

"kandy1216" wrote in message ...
I want to have my additions to the quick access toolbar show up in each
document I open as I have added several things to it. I have tried to save the document as Normal2.dotm, then deleted Normal.dotm
and renamed
Normal2.dotm to Normal.dotm, but this didn't work.

Can it be done?

Thanks,
Kandy

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Kandy,

Yes, I make the changes almost daily while looking into some of the activities discussed here

Is this on a home computer or one at work? If at work it's possible that your IT folks have set things up as a standard that
doesn't support modification (i.e. it resets with each new session). The 'all documents' would be what is saved in Word.qat. If
you search for that file after you make the changes check the date on it in Windows explorer using the 'details' view.

If you can add items to a document you can then save that document as a template to your Trusted Templates location and use that
template to get new documents with the QAT items specific to that template.
If Normal.dotm is the default for your new documents then there wouldn't be much advantage to saving the same QAT items there that
are already in the Word.QAT file, other than the Normal.dotm can support a roaming profile while the QAT doesn't do that as well

You may want, with Word not running, to try cleaning up some of the older temp files to see if that unlocks things.
Start=Search and recycle all files found searching for