Linda

Default How can I edit an Index?

I have created an Index in a document that contains Formal names. In my
final Index some of the names are listed as last name, first name - and some
are listed as first name last name. How can I make them all consistent -
last name, first name?
jem01354

Presumably, in your document some names are shown as last name, first name
and others as first name last name. The index can only show what's been
marked as an index entry.

However, you can edit the index just like you can edit any other text ie
drag and drop the last name in front of the first name and, of course, add a
comma to separate them. Alternatively, you could edit the names in your
document (so they are consistent) then click in the index and press the F9
key to update the entries.

Hope this helps!

"Linda" wrote:

I have created an Index in a document that contains Formal names. In my
final Index some of the names are listed as last name, first name - and some
are listed as first name last name. How can I make them all consistent -
last name, first name?

Stefan Blom

Edit the XE (index entry) fields in your document, and then update the
index to reflect your modifications.

To see the XE fields, first enable the display of hidden text: Click
the Show/Hide ¶ button on the Standard toolbar. (Alternatively, choose
ToolsOptions, click the View tab, check "Hidden text", click OK).

When it is displayed, you can easily change the text of XE fields.

When you are done, click the ¶ button again to hide the fields.

For more about index creation, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Linda" wrote in message
news
I have created an Index in a document that contains Formal names.
In my
final Index some of the names are listed as last name, first name -

and some
are listed as first name last name. How can I make them all

consistent -
last name, first name?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Steven,
You advised me 2 weeks ago about how to change my scripture index after
creation. One of the ways was to hit CTRL-9 to stop the program from
automatically updating my editing changes - i.e. reverting to the code format
before printing. I printed your message and lost it. You had indicated
another way - somethign about turning off the update code. Could you resend
that message? Thank you.
Qumranandy
PS I have used the CTRL-9 solution successfully. So as not to lose the
possibility of updating the index, I copy it and paste it to its own file,
then hit CTRL-9 and print.

"Linda" wrote:

I have created an Index in a document that contains Formal names. In my
final Index some of the names are listed as last name, first name - and some
are listed as first name last name. How can I make them all consistent -
last name, first name?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Suzanne,
Two problems. 1) The index is a scripture verse index. That is "Genesis"
is aa, and Genesis 5:6 is aa.05.06 padded with zeroes to keep it in front of
Gen 43.27 e.g.. After the index is generated I must take it and change all
"a" to Genesis and "05.06" to 5:5. Exodus is ab, Leviticus ca etc. All that
editing is lost when I go to print, because Word automatically updates and
thus restores "aa" "05.06" etc. The solution Stevan proposed was to click on
the index and hit CTRL+SHIFT+F(. But that turns the index into something
that can no more be uipdated. SiO I cut aand paste the finished index to a
new file then hit CTRL+SHIFT+F9. But I'm having trouble fitting the title
into the top of the first page. 2) I have five isntances of "Errot! Bookmark
not defined", which are deletable but pop right back in when I go to print.
How can I get rid of them?
Qumranandy

"Linda" wrote:

I have created an Index in a document that contains Formal names. In

my
final Index some of the names are listed as last name, first name -

and some
are listed as first name last name. How can I make them all

consistent -
last name, first name?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Tools | Options | Print--uncheck the "update fields" box. Updating fields
are causing both the restoration of "aa" and the re-creation of "Error!
Bookmark not defined."

Impossible to tell from your message what is causing the "Error! Bookmark
not defined" in the first place.

You might also look up "Lock fields" in Help--which should prevent a field
from being updated until you unlock it.

"Linda" wrote:

I have created an Index in a document that contains Formal names. In

my
final Index some of the names are listed as last name, first name -

and some
are listed as first name last name. How can I make them all

consistent -
last name, first name?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Daia,
Thanks very much. I'm not at my work table now, so I can't check it. One
more problem is that I began working on the book in Europe, and the main file
is formatted for A4 paper, which is longer and thinner than B2 paper. When I
went to print it out on B2 paper it's of course too long for the page, and I
lose the page numbers at the bottom. The solution is obvious - use A4 paper.
(I can't choose the printer option to downsize, because things I have in the
text - images - must appear in real size - i.e. the size I scanned them in.)
The problem is that the supplementary files - the introduction, etc. are
formatted for B2 paper, so that when I go to print the whole thing on A4
paper how do I reformat these smaller files so that they will be in A4 format?
Qumranandy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Tools | Options | Print--uncheck the "update fields" box. Updating fields
are causing both the restoration of "aa" and the re-creation of "Error!
Bookmark not defined."

Impossible to tell from your message what is causing the "Error! Bookmark
not defined" in the first place.

You might also look up "Lock fields" in Help--which should prevent a field
from being updated until you unlock it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Um, trying to manually reformat for a different page size is a fool's game.
Any Word document should be set up so that if you change the paper size,
Word will reflow all the text to fit the new paper size and it will still
look fine. Use File | Page Setup to change the paper size so that it is
consistent throughout the document. You might try this ON A COPY, just in
case it does get screwy.

Unless you did something really crazy, I can't see how changing the whole
thing to B2 (is that 8.5x11?) would cause a problem. Since A4 is thinner
than B2, your images should all be fine, just maybe with a slightly bigger
left/right margin--unless you have images that stretched from top to bottom
of the page, and that seems unlikely.

Or, assuming your intro, etc, are all just pure text, just use File | Page
Setup to change the paper size there. No reformatting necessary. (by the
way, File | Page Setup is the "obvious solution" in my view, not changing
the paper itself.)

Note--Word reflowing the text is not the same thing as the printer scaling
the text down to fit. Lines will wrap differently, page breaks will come at
different places, etc. But like I said, any Word document, especially a
book, should be set up such that this doesn't matter.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Tools | Options | Print--uncheck the "update fields" box. Updating fields
are causing both the restoration of "aa" and the re-creation of "Error!
Bookmark not defined."

Impossible to tell from your message what is causing the "Error! Bookmark
not defined" in the first place.

You might also look up "Lock fields" in Help--which should prevent a field
from being updated until you unlock it.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Thanks, Daia,
Both tips did it: hitting the turn off updates before print and change page
format in editing to A4.
qyumranandy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Tools | Options | Print--uncheck the "update fields" box. Updating fields
are causing both the restoration of "aa" and the re-creation of "Error!
Bookmark not defined."

Impossible to tell from your message what is causing the "Error! Bookmark
not defined" in the first place.

You might also look up "Lock fields" in Help--which should prevent a field
from being updated until you unlock it.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Daiya,
I want a Table of Contents. The problem is that the print-file must look
thus:
1) Title Page
2) Dedication page
3) Table of Contents page
4) Preface page
5) Abbreviations page
6) Introduction (3 pages)
Then come chapter one - about 50 pages -, chapter two - about 300 pages,
chapter 3 - about 40 pages, 7 addenda, Scripture index, Bibliography.
Numeral pagination starts with number 6. The other pages (i.e. numbers 1-5
above) should have page numbered in Roman numerals. How?
Thank you,
qumranandy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Tools | Options | Print--uncheck the "update fields" box. Updating fields
are causing both the restoration of "aa" and the re-creation of "Error!
Bookmark not defined."

Impossible to tell from your message what is causing the "Error! Bookmark
not defined" in the first place.

You might also look up "Lock fields" in Help--which should prevent a field
from being updated until you unlock it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Suzanne,
I've read your article and still don't understand how each chapter's footer
(there are no headers) will look thus
page 1:
INTRODUCTION 1
page 2: 2 INTRODUCTION
until the end of the introduction at page 4. Then comes Chapter 1
"Transcriptions"
page 5:
TRANSCRIPTIONS 5
page 6: 6 TRANSCRIPTIONS
and so forth until the end of the book, which will have about 12 different
sections. That is, on the odd pages we have at page-bottoms "Section title"
followed by page number in caps, and on even pages we have the reverse: page
number followed by section-title in caps.
Thank you.
Qmranandy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You didn't ask about headers or footers in the question that she was
answering. For your footers:

You need to turn on Odd and Even Footers, so that you can format them
separately.

To get Introduction/Transcriptions/ChapterTitle into the footer, use a
StyleRef field that will pull the text of the current chapter heading from
the main body of the document. The same StyleRef field will automatically
change throughout the document as appropriate, even without section breaks.
You'll need to enter it in both the Odd and the Even footer.
(Alternatively, if you have section breaks around each chapter anyhow, you
can manually type the ChapterTitle, but that's the hard way).

For instructions on these techniques, see the "Beyond Numbering" section of
the Frontmatter article that you have already, and this article:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm
(scroll to "Types of Headers and Footers" and focus on that section and all
the following sections)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

ar Daia,
The problem when I wrote my enquiry was getting the left footer positioned -
the footer for even pages. The tab was putting me to the left of the page
number. I got around that by entering about ten spaces to get the text to
the right of the page number. Here's another question for you. I'm writing
a commentary of 1-2 Samuel. It would be nice to have at the top of each page
the verse(s) listed that are dealt with on that page - e.g. "1 Sam 5:6" as
the header, then a page of blah blah blah on that verse. Or "1 Sam 13:14-17"
then a paragraph about 1 Sam 13:14, a break, a paragraph about 1 Sam
13:15-16, a break, then the start of a page on 1 Sam 13:17. How?
Qumranandy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you've inserted the page number using Insert | Page Numbers, the {
PAGE } field is in a frame, and any other text you add to the header/footer
is carefully routed around that frame. Delete the framed page number and use
the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert
your page number, and I think you'll have a lot less trouble.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Daia and Suzanne,
And another thing. I'm having trouble getting a title positioned across the
top of my index. WORD is squnching it into the left. I've gone through and
formatted the headers/footers for an introduction, three chapters and 7
addenda. The last addendum is section 12 of the document (section 1 is the
title page, dedication page, preface page, table of contents). But when I
hit the index, which was already attached to the document before I added all
the addenda, I'm told it's section 15. Furthermore there is a "Section Break
(continuous)" that I keep trying to delete. But when I do that it messes up
all my tables. (Much of my document is formatted in tables). How can I get
the index to stay put, so that I can insert a title over it? Should I just
delete it? But does that mean I lose all my entries?
Qumranandy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suggest you do a Save As, and then you can happily figure out what's going
on WITH A COPY of the document, and revert back to the original if things go
bad.

You mention several problems here, it's a bit tough to sort them out, I'll
give it a try.

1)
I'm having trouble getting a title positioned across the
top of my index. WORD is squnching it into the left.

The index is automatically formatted in columns. When you try to type at
the top of the index, that text goes into the leftmost column, which doesn't
go all the way across the page.

Columns are created with a continuous section break before and after. Click
¶ on the standard toolbar so you can see your section breaks--you need to
type Index above the first continuous section break to get it to stretch
across the page.

2)
The last addendum is section 12 of the document.snip But when I
hit the index snip I'm told it's section 15.

If you have any landscape sections or used Format | Columns anywhere, that
will increase the number of sections in Word's view, even if it doesn't
change the number of chapters (logical sections). This may be the index
columns causing the number change.

3)
Furthermore there is a "Section Break
(continuous)" that I keep trying to delete. But when I do that it messes up
all my tables.

This requires more information.

Where in the document is the Section Break (continuous) that you want to
delete?

If it is right before the index then the Section Break (continuous) is the
beginning of the column formatting. You'll need to let it stay there.

If it is somewhere else, please describe where it is, where it is in
relation to the tables, and how they change when you delete it.

And why are you trying to delete it?

4)
(Much of my document is formatted in tables).

Why?

Daiya

On 9/13/06 6:28 PM, "qumranandy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne handled the number portion of your question.

For part 2, you said you want the verses discussed listed in the header--the
basic answer is a StyleRef field in the header, which can reflect text in
the main body of the doc.

However, I'm not sure you can get 1 Sam 13:14-17. You'll have to do some
finagling. It also depends on whether you have headings that list the
verses under discussion, or whether you are just mentioning them in the main
text as you go along.

See the help topic "Create dictionary-style headers" and this article:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
The technique you probably want would be similar to "Picking up Part of a
Heading"

You need to understand how StyleRef can work. Experiment a bit with
inserting the appropriate fields and seeing what you get.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Here's another one that may not stump you. I created the Table of Contents
using the mark my own entries option. How do I mark the index, which is
generated by WORD and is not my own invention, so that it will be included in
the table of contents?
Qumranandy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word didn't generate the title "Index", you did--you just posted about it.

If you want the "Index" heading to be listed in the TOC, then do the same
thing to it that you did to the rest of the chapter headings. I assume you
used a TC field--use one again.

On 9/14/06 6:37 AM, "qumranandy" wrote:

Here's another one that may not stump you. I created the Table of Contents
using the mark my own entries option. How do I mark the index, which is
generated by WORD and is not my own invention, so that it will be included in
the table of contents?
Qumranandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Dear Suzanne and Daia,
I solved the problems with the Index title. I had it formatted for two
columns instead of one. The new problem is this:
My WORD document is an extended table. In the left column I have
1,1
1,2
1,3-4
etc. The "1" indicates column one of the Dead Sea scroll I am
reconstructing, and "2" and "3-4" are the lines (3-4 for a phrase that
extends over two lines) where the word or words appear. In column two of the
table I explain the word or words. Thls goes on through 54,12 = column 54,
line 12 of the reconstructed scroll. I would like atop each page of
explanations to appear: "23,26-29" if on that page the explanations in the
right column of the table pertain to entries listed as 23,26 and 23,29 and
all between. Possibly the 23,26 has to be retrieved from a previous page if
the explanation extends over the page divide. How do I do it? I tried
formatting each entry in the left column with the style name "footer", but
then WORD changed "1,3" and "1,4" to 1,2 - the first one I formatted. I
found the "Create a dictionary-style page header" on the WORD help site, but
I'm not sure whether to use the paragraph or character style method. Please
help. Please hurry, because I have to finish the manuscript pronto.
qumranandy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Qumranandy,

If you will always want the header to pick up an entire paragraph, then you
can use a paragraph style.

If you only want the header to pick up *part* of the text that is in a
paragraph, then you use a character style.

(Suzanne, how do paragraphs interact with table cells? My experiments here
are a little confusing)

By default, StyleRef will pick up the first styled text on the page, unless
you add a switch to tell it to get the last. Read about switches in the Help
for the StyleRef field code.

This will all be easier if you are willing to accept
"23, 26*23, 29" instead of "23, 26*29"
Then you can format all the column and line information in the same style,
say "ColumnLine" (defined as Default Paragraph Font + nothing).

Then your header would have:
{ StyleRef "ColumnLine" }*{ StyleRef "ColumnLine" \l}

That \l is the switch that says "pick up the last text styled as ColumnLine
on this page". It's an "ell", not a one (just as in the dictionary-style
headers Help topic)

Note that the separator should properly be an en dash *, not a hyphen -.

However, I do not think you can force StyleRef to pick up "23, 26" from the
on that page. However, I think that people are accustomed to that. You can
experiment with various switches to see if there is any way you can finesse
this. Also see the Help topic on "Effect of the STYLEREF field location" to
see how StyleRef searches.

(Suzanne, can you confirm this is undoable?)

Daiya