Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline

Default Microsoft Word

I have scanned a form into My Documents and saved as a Microsoft Word
Document. I know want to open that form and type on it...How Do I Do It???
I NEED HELP!!! Thanks!!! Suzy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What you appear to have done is saved the document as an image. Word has no
ability to edit graphics. You can insert the graphic as a background image
(set the layout property to behind text) and type over it or you can use OCR
software to convert it into a dogs breakfast of an editable document that
will require a lot of work to put right.

Note that if the supplier of the form intends that the form be hand written
(eg job applications) and the instructions say that it must be hand written,
then hand write it.

SuzyQ wrote:
I have scanned a form into My Documents and saved as a Microsoft Word
Document. I know want to open that form and type on it...How Do I Do
It??? I NEED HELP!!! Thanks!!! Suzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline

I believe that it what i have done....I have a form...my daughter was
nominated as Student of the Year and we have all these forms that have to be
filled out in 12pt font and I refuse to pull out the old typewriter when I
have all this computer equipment and I dont even know how to use it...What is
OCR software....Thanks for your input!
Suzy

SuzyQ wrote:
I have scanned a form into My Documents and saved as a Microsoft Word
Document. I know want to open that form and type on it...How Do I Do
It??? I NEED HELP!!! Thanks!!! Suzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If this is a one-time thing you might find this to be one usable
alternative - assuming you've already scanned the forms as images and they
are in word docs:

In one file at a time, Select & Cut the image then go to the Header/Footer &
paste the image there. Position it as precisely as you can then go back to
the text layer of the doc. (I'm suggesting the Header/Footer because if you
simply format the form image as Behind Text you run the risk of moving it
accidentally as you continue to do the rest of the work. Also, Text Boxes
because trying to get regular typed text to go into the right spots can be a
severe challenge.) Don't be concerned that the form image appears to be
"faded" once you leave the H/F layer - it will print with full intensity.

In each location where you need to enter information, draw a text box
formatted with No Fill & No Line, Text Wrapping set to In Front of Text,
whatever font specs you need & type the info into each box as you go.

Graham is quite right about the OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
approach, but to get editable text you lose all the graphic elements (such
as lines or logos & seals). As he wrote, a veritable nightmare to deal with.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

SuzyQ wrote:
I have scanned a form into My Documents and saved as a Microsoft Word
Document. I know want to open that form and type on it...How Do I Do
It??? I NEED HELP!!! Thanks!!! Suzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

The simplest approach might be to contact the document source and see if
they have the form as an editable document for Word or some other. Then, you
could simply open the document and add the required information and save the
result to be printed or sent to the appropriate place as a file.

Tom
MDMVP 1008-2007

"SuzyQ" wrote in message
I have scanned a form into My Documents and saved as a Microsoft Word
Document. I know want to open that form and type on it...How Do I Do
It???
I NEED HELP!!! Thanks!!! Suzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Another possibility - one that I prefer if this is going to be a one off -
is to insert the scanned form into Word as a watermark. Try to get it to be
the exact dimensions of the original form.

Then back in the text layer, insert Text Form Fields over the areas where
you need enter data. Fill out the Form Fields with the information. Do a
test print to make sure that the data comes out exactly in the correct
alignment. When it is correct to your satisfaction, set the document
Protection to Protect as a Form. Then Print onto the original form choosing
the Option to Print only Data for Forms.

Terry

SuzyQ wrote:
I have scanned a form into My Documents and saved as a Microsoft Word
Document. I know want to open that form and type on it...How Do I Do
It??? I NEED HELP!!! Thanks!!! Suzy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chris Game Chris Game is offline

Great subject line for an MS-Word newsgroup!!!

--
Chris Game

Justify my text? I'm sorry but it has no excuse.