Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stollerf stollerf is offline

Default How to format ellipsis?

Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index with
page numbers?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you really mean ellipsis, are are you talking about a string of periods
that goes from the entry over to the page number? If the latter, they're
called tab leaders. In the References tab, click Insert Index. Click to
enable Right align page numbers, and selected the desired type of "Tab
leader".

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have created an index using an INDEX field (or a table of contents
with a TOC field), this will be automatic.

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stollerf stollerf is offline

Thanks...you're right... I meant adding/aligning a string of periods. I
tried Inserting Index, but I must be doing something wrong. After following
your directions, the text "No index entries found." was inserted on the page.
What am I missing?

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stollerf stollerf is offline

I didn't create the index using the INDEX field. Just typed the text
intending to add page numbers afterwards. Not sure how to create an index .
.. . .

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, first we need to know whether you really mean an index (alphabetical,
back of the book) or a table of contents (chronological, front of the book).
If the latter, see http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html. If
the former, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in message
I didn't create the index using the INDEX field. Just typed the text
intending to add page numbers afterwards. Not sure how to create an index
.
. . .

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're missing index entries. Creating an index is a two step process.
First, you use Mark Entry to mark those words you want in the index. Then
you insert the index.

For marking entries, use Mark Entry in the References tab. Alt+Shift+X is
the keyboard shortcut.

For built-in help on the process, press F1, type "index", then click on
"Create an index".

--

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can still save all the typing you've done (this time) -- if
there's a tab before the page number(s) in each entry. Select all the
paragraph-entries in the index, click at the right end of the ruler at
the top to insert a tab, then click precisely on that tab marker to
open the tabs dialog. Then choose "right" and the kind of leader you
want -- the dot leader should be the first choice below "None."

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Come clean ... did you already have a tab before each page number
(group), or did you have to go back and add them?

And you have to promise that the next time you do an index, you'll do
it the right way, by inserting XE fields and letting Word do the work.
(It'll even insert the field on every occurrence of a word you want it
to.)

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
crystal crystal is offline

what kind of tab stop do I need before the number? I have tried a regular
tab and a right tab and neither will insert a dot leader. I used to have
this same problem with Word 2003. Word 2007 is worse

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in Index
with
page numbers?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Shift-F5 works for me -- the last three locations.

On Apr 13, 7:46*pm, Crystal wrote:
thank you, yes, i finally figured it out. *I had to click on the actual tab
setting (i.e., 6.63) and then choose the #2 dot leader and it worked.

On a separate note, has there been any further decision on reactivating the
use of Shift F5 to go to the last edited location in a document? *I sure miss
that feature. *thank you

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You can use any kind of tab stop, but you must go to the Tabs dialog and
choose a period leader, then click OK.

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis in
with
page numbers?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It works as long as the document as open; unfortunately, once you have
closed the document, you can't reopen it and return to the last edit
position with Shift+F5. I would miss it, too.

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis
in
with
page numbers?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I haven't heard anything about this, and I don't know why it was disabled in
the first place, but I believe there are occasional problems with the
command even in earlier versions.

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis
in
with
page numbers?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
crystal crystal is offline

The Shift F5 topic is from an old discussion dated 10/1/07 as follows. I
just got Word 2007 last Friday and the Shift F5 feature does not work, unless
there's a fix for it somewhere. It worked for me every time in Word 2003.
Thank you.

Subject: Shift+F5 doesn't work in Word 2007 10/1/2007 7:30 PM PST

By: Suzanne S. Barnhill In: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Web portal from which you posted (Microsoft Communities), you can
choose to post a question, a reply to a question, or a "Suggestion for
Microsoft."

"GMc" wrote in message
"Jay Freedman" wrote: " I'm going to ask Microsoft to log this issue as

bug. You can help by submitting your request as a 'suggestion to

Microsoft.'"

Thanks for the additional research/info, Jay. I do not know how to submit

suggestion to Microsoft. Plz advise.

--
GMc
Phoenix

********************************

"stollerf" wrote in message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align ellipsis
in
with
page numbers?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What I meant by "I haven't heard anything about this" was that I haven't
heard whether MS are working on a fix for the problem of Shift+F5 not
working on reopening a doc.

http://word.mvps.org

"Crystal" wrote in message
The Shift F5 topic is from an old discussion dated 10/1/07 as follows. I
just got Word 2007 last Friday and the Shift F5 feature does not work,
unless
there's a fix for it somewhere. It worked for me every time in Word 2003.
Thank you.

By: Suzanne S. Barnhill In: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Web portal from which you posted (Microsoft Communities), you can
choose to post a question, a reply to a question, or a "Suggestion for
Microsoft."

so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If you have created an index using an INDEX field (or a table
of
contents
with a TOC field), this will be automatic.

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in
message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align
ellipsis
in
with
page numbers?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
crystal crystal is offline

yes, after i re-read your response I was wondering if that's what you meant.
I apologize for misunderstanding. wow, you work long hours! you were on at
8:30 last night and now again this early

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If you have created an index using an INDEX field (or a table
of
contents
with a TOC field), this will be automatic.

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in
message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align
ellipsis
in
with
page numbers?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I work at home. My computer is usually on from 7 or 8 in the morning till 11
or 12 at night, and I check into the NGs periodically.

http://word.mvps.org

"Crystal" wrote in message
The Shift F5 topic is from an old discussion dated 10/1/07 as follows.
just got Word 2007 last Friday and the Shift F5 feature does not work,
unless
there's a fix for it somewhere. It worked for me every time in Word
2003.
Thank you.

By: Suzanne S. Barnhill In: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Web portal from which you posted (Microsoft Communities), you
can
choose to post a question, a reply to a question, or a "Suggestion for
Microsoft."

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If you have created an index using an INDEX field (or a
table
of
contents
with a TOC field), this will be automatic.

http://word.mvps.org

"stollerf" wrote in
message
Using Office Home/Student 2007, how do I format/align
ellipsis
in
with
page numbers?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hi all

Crystal wrote:
The Shift F5 topic is from an old discussion dated 10/1/07 as follows. I
just got Word 2007 last Friday and the Shift F5 feature does not work, unless
there's a fix for it somewhere. It worked for me every time in Word 2003.

FWIW and IIRC, this is by design in 2007 (after closing a document, the
last editing position seems to be treated as undesired metadata).

0.2¢
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
But Lene says it's still working for her. Some people have all the luck!

interesting: maybe a SP issue?

Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

It still works here so it was not just a matter of luck the other day€¦

I have Word 2007 (12.0.6331.5000) SPI MSO (12.0.6320.5000)

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Robert M. Franz [RMF]" wrote:

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
But Lene says it's still working for her. Some people have all the luck!

interesting: maybe a SP issue?

Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Lene Fredborg wrote:
It still works here so it was not just a matter of luck the other day€¦

I have Word 2007 (12.0.6331.5000) SPI MSO (12.0.6320.5000)

my installtion here is "un-SP-ed" right now. I'll test this at home next
time I'm in the NGs there ...

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

ellipsis Lisa Microsoft Word Help 1 July 29th 07 01:05 AM
what does an ellipsis do sugg2204 New Users 16 September 8th 06 06:10 PM
removal of horizontal ellipsis Ann Dewar Microsoft Word Help 1 August 19th 06 09:10 PM
points of ellipsis Jeff_at_Westmount Microsoft Word Help 2 April 3rd 05 07:19 PM
W2K's dad-burn'd *&%! ellipsis Travis New Users 17 January 8th 05 04:55 PM