Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRG3 JRG3 is offline

Default Two columns to one column

I am having a difficult time with columns. I am trying to switch from two
columns to one column in order to type a heading. After that, I plan to go
back to two columns, and repeat the process. The problem is, though, I can't
figure out how to make the switch. I have tried anything and everything
under the "blogs" and nothing is working. When I try to apply continuous
section breaks, for example, it takes some of the text from the first column
and puts it into the second column. If anyone can help, PLEASE send
anything. I need to do this assignment for my AP class and I could really
use the advice. Thanks to anyone who replies!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select just the text you want to change the number of columns in. Then
either drag the correct number of columns on the toolbar palette or use
Format | Columns, making sure that "Apply to" is set to "Selected Text."
Word will take care of inserting the required Continuous section breaks. For
more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm

"JRG3" wrote in message
I am having a difficult time with columns. I am trying to switch from two
columns to one column in order to type a heading. After that, I plan to

go
back to two columns, and repeat the process. The problem is, though, I

can't
figure out how to make the switch. I have tried anything and everything
under the "blogs" and nothing is working. When I try to apply continuous
section breaks, for example, it takes some of the text from the first

column
and puts it into the second column. If anyone can help, PLEASE send
anything. I need to do this assignment for my AP class and I could really
use the advice. Thanks to anyone who replies!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't understand what you're trying to do, then. When Word fills one
column, it will flow text to the next one. Text flow can be inhibited by
"Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" formatting as well as by manual
column breaks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Select just the text you want to change the number of columns in. Then
either drag the correct number of columns on the toolbar palette or use
Format | Columns, making sure that "Apply to" is set to "Selected Text."
Word will take care of inserting the required Continuous section breaks.

For
more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JRG3" wrote in message
I am having a difficult time with columns. I am trying to switch from

two
columns to one column in order to type a heading. After that, I plan

go
back to two columns, and repeat the process. The problem is, though,

can't
figure out how to make the switch. I have tried anything and

everything
under the "blogs" and nothing is working. When I try to apply

continuous
section breaks, for example, it takes some of the text from the first

column
and puts it into the second column. If anyone can help, PLEASE send
anything. I need to do this assignment for my AP class and I could

really
use the advice. Thanks to anyone who replies!

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Two columns to one column

Instructions to switch between one and two columns in Microsoft Word

To switch from two columns to one column, you'll need to insert a section break. Here's how to do it:
  1. Place your cursor at the end of the text in the first column.
  2. Go to the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Breaks" button in the "Page Setup" section.
  4. Select "Continuous" under "Section Breaks."

This will insert a section break and start a new section on the next page. The new section will be in one column.

To switch back to two columns, you'll need to insert another section break. Here's how to do it:
  1. Place your cursor at the end of the text in the one-column section.
  2. Go to the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Breaks" button in the "Page Setup" section.
  4. Select "Columns" under "Section Breaks."

This will insert a section break and start a new section on the next page. The new section will be in two columns.